Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing MS Office from original MS CDs onto a W8.1 desktop

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I ran into this problem trying to install MS Office 2000 into my new Dell desktop with W8.1.  I have been using the Word and Excel components of Office for years on a Dell desktop with XP.

I inserted the original MS cd in my cd drive, entered the 25 letter product key. The installation started.  At the 90% completion mark  the process stopped and I got this error message:

Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source Visual FoxPro Database, ODBC error. Component not found in the registry. Verify that the file Visual FoxPro Database exists and that you can access it.

Ignore                           Cancel

Pressing  "Ignore"  had no effect.  Pressing "Cancel" ended the installation.

Can someone please tell me what, if anything, I can do to complete the installation? Thanks.   ..  .batpark

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Not sure Office 2000 will work on Windows 8.1.

Try copying the CD contents to a folder then right click on setup.exe in that folder and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab then select Windows XP SP3. Save and exit then run setup.exe, see if that works.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

ztruker: I believe you are right. Rather than trying (I have so many other issues to work out in adapting to this new pc), I have downloaded OpenOffice and will try that. Thanks (again) for your advice. ... batpark