Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX 660 to GTX 750 TI Upgrade

GTX 660 750 TI Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

is there a reason your down grading from the gtx660 to the gtx750i ?

the 750i has lower power requirements than your 660 so should work just fine in your pc, and  "The card says something about an Extra requirement of a 6pin PCI-Express Connector (I don't know what this means." means it uses the same power lead your current 660 should be connected with.
looks like this :- http://www.allpinout...CIe)_6pin_power

:popcorn:

"is there a reason your down grading from the gtx660 to the gtx750i ?" It is the TI Version of the 750 not 750I (eye) it is the (Tee Eye) version.

You may have misread. The "Asus GTX 750 TI" is a whole generation above the "Asus GTX 660"

https://www.komplett...2gb-physx-cuda#<----- Look at this link

sorry for late reply been away for a week, newer is not always better and especially not in this case. ;)

so if your changing your gtx660 to a gtx750i because you think it is more powerfull and a better card for gaming then i'm sorry to say it's not and your just wasting your money, probably should have said a side ways step and not a downgrade because performance between the 2 is about equal.

your temps are fine, and if your having no problems running the gtx660 then you shouldn't have any problems running the gtx750i because it has lower power requirements than the gtx660.

here's some links comparing the 2 cards :- 
http://www.hwcompare...rce-gtx-750-ti/
http://gpuboss.com/g...GeForce-GTX-660
http://www.game-deba...orce-gtx-750-ti

thought i'd add the below link to help you choose a good upgrade card for your gtx660.

I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel, and you may not even notice any worthwhile difference in performance.

GPU Hierarchy Chart:- http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-7.html

Edited by terry1966, 26 September 2015 - 08:02 PM.

Advertisements

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

terry1966, eventho it may be slightly worse. I'm not a hardcore gamer who wants everything on high end. never been my intent.

All i want is a card that's got better cooling than what i currently got, The GTX 660 3gb, is nearing it's end.

The fan is making a lot of noise, it reminds me of a helicopter whenever the fanspeed goes to a certain point. And that's a sign of the card breaking. or atleast the fan. It is loose or something.

And i have no idea how to fix it. infact i don't think there is a way to fix it, other than strapping on a CPU cooler on the GPU, or buying a new card.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just didn't want you to think your upgrading your gpu and then being disappointed when you got the new card and found it wasn't better and why i wanted you to clarify if you were buying it because of problems with old card or just because you thought it was a better gaming card. :spoton:

fans can be replaced quite easily yourself and are not a sign of a "breaking  card" or if your wary of doing it yourself you can always contact the maker and see if it is still in warranty and get them to do it for free or if out of warranty ask the cost if to expensive then decide to get the new gtx750 ti.

just some more options ideas for you to look into if you so desire, and as i've said before to actually swap the cards i don't foresee you having any problems with power or anything else and it should be a simple case of disconnecting the main power lead, press the pc's power on button to discharge any residual current left in the system, then take the old card out and replace with the new one using the same pci-e power connection plug connected to the old card on the new card.

don't even foresee any problems with drivers seeing how both cards are nvidia cards.

Edited by terry1966, 27 September 2015 - 04:39 PM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you terry. I'll keep that in mind!

as i already ordered and payed for the card.

Edited by TheZorcs, 28 September 2015 - 06:03 AM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

So, so far the new card runs very well. I haven't tested any more "demanding" games yet. I've tried it on a bit of Osu! and it seems to run around 34-37C, which is very nice!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:spoton:

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

And i tested playing a couple of games that demand more gpu power, such as Ark:Survival Evolved, and 7 Days To Die, Temperature is being control by Msi afterburner's manual control

Peak temperature on Ark: 62C ( after almost 3 hours of continuous gameplay.)

Peak temperature on 7 Days To Die: 57C ( played for about 30minutes )

so all in all i'm very happy with this. :)

Also more questions!, considering the GPU only drains 60 watts continuously, Is it common that the power usage % goes around 70-90 and sometimes 100 because of how little it drains?

the 660 never ran at this high power usage.

Another thing, When i look inside Msi Afterburner, at the Power limit slider, It says 100% is the limit for this card (GTX 750 Ti), and it said 0% for the GTX 660, Is that a bug?

or did it actually set itself to 0% power limit?

Edited by TheZorcs, 30 September 2015 - 05:57 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

the 660 never went as high as the 750ti power usage %age because it was a more powerful card so in other words to do the same amount of work it used less of it's capabilities, the actual power draw of 60watts is the 750ti's max needed electrical power it uses when it is running at 100%.
when idle or not running at 100% usage load it will draw less electrical power, could be 20watts at idle for example.

so yes in a way the wattage draw is linked to the higher %age uses figures your seeing but only because the more powerful cards are capable of doing a lot more work which usually means the higher the work load then the more watts they'd use and would be rated for.

if you want to see exactly what it is capable of and see 100% loads then i'd suggest running a unigine benchmark test :- https://unigine.com/...ucts/benchmarks

the higher the scores the better the card is.

the power slider probably showed 0% for the 660 card because it was older and didn't have the hardware features built into it that would allow you to manually alter it's power on the fly like the newer gtx750ti has.

below is an example of the unigine heaven benchmark run at 1920x1080 on my linux pc with it's very old gtx275,

your newer cards should score much better than my old systems 503. ;)

here's a link comparing my gtx275 to your new gtx750ti :- http://www.game-deba...geforce-gtx-275

Attached Thumbnails

• snapshot2.jpeg

Edited by terry1966, 30 September 2015 - 11:56 AM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

never been a fan of stressing components without a reason. I dont feel benchmarking is extremely neccessary, i am sure mine is more powerful than yours :) Glad to know that the high power usage isn't a bad thing, thanks for the help bud :)

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:spoton:

should also point out, the newer the cards then usually the newer and smaller the manufacturing process is, which means they can cram in more hardware in the same amount or smaller space, this also has a big effect on the wattage draw and why the cards of today have a lower wattage requirement then the high end cards of past years, for example at the time my gtx275 was a top end card costing over £200 and has a wattage draw of about 220 watts where as todays high end cards like the gtx970 even though much more powerful has a lot lower wattage requirement of 145 watts.

Advertisements

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

would be funny if i could stick that 970 in this computer. though i highly doubt it :D

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

don't know what system you have or it's full specs but really don't see why you couldn't install a gtx970 into your system unless of course it won't fit into your case, seeing how it is 10.5 inches long. :D

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Well... The PSU i have is on this thread, and the rest is here lol. http://puu.sh/ktUn9/bee468505d.png

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

really don't see why you couldn't install a gtx970 into your system unless of course it won't fit into your case, seeing how it is 10.5 inches long. :D

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Haha. too expensive for me even if i could get it in. and i would upgrade other things most likely before getting that. :P