Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General question about malwares

• Please log in to reply

Pernaman

Pernaman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Not sure if this belongs here, but there's just one thing I'd like to ask you malware experts here. The thing is that, in the past (and sometimes in present time too) I've had a habit of restarting my computer really quickly when I've been afraid of getting malware infection (like when I've got Avast virus warning popup when visiting some sites or when I've just visited some wird websote in general), usually in believe that if I've got infected it would affect my computer's startup/use after the startup. However, I've been told that if you close your computer when you've (probably) got malware, it just makes it easier for the infection to hide deeper into your system and become unreachable by antivirus & antimalware tools. I know this clould be case in some invidual advanced malwares, but in general I'd like to know if it's actually good idea to turn off the computer when you suspect that there might be some in your machine? :unsure:

Edited by Pernaman, 17 September 2015 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

It's difficult to answer that definitively. Do you mean "Restarting" or did you mean flipping the power switch?

In general, powering off Windows rather than shutting down or recycling is not recommended - basically it can break Windows. Restarting, properly will do no harm, neither is likely to effect whether an infection takes hold or not.

You're best answer is to avoid 'weird' websites. Second best, you could install Sandboxie, a free sandbox. This has an option to run your web browser sandboxed  and used in conjunction with an A/V and Firewall (make sure all are updated regularly) is a fairly secure way to browse.

Pernaman

Pernaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I often just go turn off computer from the Start menu.