Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Internet Puzzle - Can Browse, but can't get email and other tasks

outlook internet connection

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have an older Acer laptop running Windows 7.

The computer states that it is connected to WiFi.

I can open a browser (IE or FireFox) and browse the internet no problem.

I open my Outlook and 95% of the time when I try to retrieve email it says that it can't.  It states to check the email settings and if I'm connected to the internet. The settings are correct and my email server is working.

Tried to install a program to backup my computer and it would not install because it said I don't have an active internet connection.

I'm at a loss. I have called my internet supplier and they said it's fine on their end.  I have plugged in my ethernet cable to the laptop so that it's not running off of WiFi but I still have the inconsistencies.

When I encounter these issues, my computer says I'm still connected to the internet.  Usually computer issues do not stump me for long, but this really has me puzzled.  The funny thing is a similar thing is happening with my iPhone, but not with my second laptop that is newer.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks for any ideas on how to correct this frustrating issue.

• Pip
  • 5 posts

It could be a malware or virus issue. check your system for malware & see.