Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do i add a second hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i have a hard drive from my old computer and i want to add it to my new computer. it has been formated
i have put it in the correct place and wired it up properly (i think, with the pink side nearest the power cable)
when i boot up with both drives connected, it turns on but just shows a ASUS screen and stays there

any help is appreciated

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Did you make sure that the drive has the correct ju,per settings? I'm assuming that you'll want to simply add the older hard drive for storage and keep the original drive in the new computer as the boot drive right? If you can get into the BIOS, check to make sure that the hard drive is even listed, if it isn't then double check your connections and again double check the jumper settings, making sure the original 'newer' hard drive is set to Master and the old one your adding set to Slave. (neither should be on cable select).

--Chris

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
thanks for replying

i want to keep the drive that came with the computer for boot up and second one for storage

when i boot up with both drives connected, i can't access the bios when i press del. it just stays there saying entering setup.

also i know nothing about jumpers, slave and master stuff so i can't really tell you about them

scott

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
check the jumper settings first. do not move jumpers on your boot drive. it should already be set to master. jumper the old drive as a slave.

please see attached jpg for an example of the jumpers and jumper installation guide.

the top, in red, are jumper installation instructions. look on your drive for something similar.

the bottom row from the left: IDE connector, jumper pins(5 sets for this drive) and jumpers(2 for this drive), power connector(4 pins).

which OS does each drive have?

Attached Thumbnails

• hd0.jpg

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi

the "old drive" is formated and has no os

the boot drive has xp home sp2

i understand the slave stuff

which slave do i need to do as there is more than one on the instructions

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
connect your old drive as a slave.

which jumper instructions are you using - the attached instructions? or the instructions on your old drive?

note - the instructions in the attachment are there as an example. please try the instructions on your drive. if there is more than one way to connect as a slave, try each.

more questions:
how is the old drive formatted - fat32 or ntfs?

to which IDE cable are you connecting the slave drive - the same cable as the master drive(primary) or the secondary ide cable?

by the way, you were correct in your original post - the red stripe on the ribbon cable will be adjacent to the red wire on the power connector.

Edited by bdlt, 15 June 2005 - 02:10 PM.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi

looked on maxtor website (maker of hard drive) and saw correct jumper position , did the change and now it all works

thanks for your help otherwise i would be nowhere

thanks

scott

Edited by scott452, 15 June 2005 - 02:52 PM.