Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to 8.1 from windows 7

• Please log in to reply

craz26

craz26

• Pip
  • 9 posts

For those that will tell me about the free windows 10 upgrade, yes i know about it, although i am experiencing issues with windows updates

at this moment, therfore am not getting the windows 10 upgrade icon in the notifications area.

Issues im experiencing.

when checking for updates, its takes forever to do it. the update check is running while im writing this.

Optional updates not downloading. when i select the updates and press install, it stalls at 0% and never moves forward.

I was hoping to reslove these issues with the upgrade, if i sort out the compatibility issues.  I have a sony vaio vgn-nr260e

Whats not compatible with windows 8.1

Will have to install an app to play dvd's

Sidebar gadgets aren't supported

Secure boot isn't compatible with my pc.

ps, the update check never completed, been running for several hours tho. :upset:

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You don't need to wait for the Get Windows 10 icon to show up in the task bar.

See here:  Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation

Make sure to follow 4. To Upgrade to Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

Before you do any upgrade, to Windows 7 or 10, backup your current hard drive. The best way to do this is to use a program like Macrium Reflect Free to create a backup image on an external USB hard drive. You can get a 1TB Samsung Canvio for around $50.

craz26

craz26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

ok thanks