Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Tecra M10 Screen Displays 1 second the goes back.

• Please log in to reply

rrvau

rrvau

• Pip
  • 7 posts

G'day,  

My Toshiba Tecra M10 Model PTMBA-04S001 boots to the Toshiba start screen for about 1 second then goes black. The machine continues to boot to Vista but iut just shows a black screen.  If I connect it to an external monitor, it acts normally, however, when switching back to the laptop screen, it displays for 1 second, then black.   I have checked the inverter, which is okay.   Prior to this problem occurring, the botton left hand corner of the screen showed a black "bloom" about 20mm in diameter and the screen got very hot in this section.  By hot I mean around 90 deg Celsius.   I am thinking that the LCD is crook by I need a way of confirming this prior to purchasing another LCD.  Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:   rrvau,

Good troubleshooting on your behalf and I can only suggest one other check atm, get yourself a flash light, connect the notebook to your external screen and boot into Windows, disconnect the external screen and take the notebook into a darkened room, shine the flash light into the screen and look closely to see if you can see the desktop icons in the background, if you can it suggests that the back light is bad which would be bad news as they are beyond the average users ability to replace as it involves soldering.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Not heard back from you rrvau, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

rrvau

rrvau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I am sorry but I was just now advised of your reply.  I will try your suggested diagnostic and reply asas.

Thank you

Royce

rrvau

rrvau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

G'day,

I cannot see anything by shining a torch at the screen from any angle. 

One other thing, if I close the lid for a while, the screen flashes on in the same manner as the startup except that it flashes white for a fraction of a second then after about three seconds, shows the screen then goes black.

I tries wlking around it backwards three times chanting "Toshiba is Good" but still nowt happened.

Royce

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

No problem, you have at least been notified now  :thumbsup:

When you shone the torch into the screen had you toggled the screen from external to internal display, this is often done by pressing down the Fn and the F5 key at the same time.

One other thing, if I close the lid for a while, the screen flashes on in the same manner as the startup except that it flashes white for a fraction of a second then after about three seconds, shows the screen then goes black.

It could still be a problem with the back light but the MB to screen video ribbon/cable should also be considered and checked out.

I tries wlking around it backwards three times chanting "Toshiba is Good" but still nowt happened.

Good to see that you are not letting it get to you  :thumbsup:

rrvau

rrvau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Even if it's the cable, I'm still concerned about the heating  of the lower left corner.

I'll check out the cable.

Any idea about pulling the LCD apart?   I'll have a go at it 'cause I have nothing to lose, have I?

Regards,

Royce

rrvau

rrvau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

No problem, you have at least been notified now  :thumbsup:

When you shone the torch into the screen had you toggled the screen from external to internal display, this is often done by pressing down the Fn and the F5 key at the same time.

It could still be a problem with the back light but the MB to screen video ribbon/cable should also be considered and checked out.

Good to see that you are not letting it get to you  :thumbsup:

Oh yes, I did toggle the two screen outputs.

Royce

rrvau

rrvau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Any ideas about pulling the LCD apart and replacing the back light?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Any ideas about pulling the LCD apart and replacing the back light?

Only undertake the task if you are confident, see here as you see nothing in the background of the screen but you do on an external display I suspect a bad video cable/ribbon.

rrvau

rrvau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Okay, thank you veerry muchly for your assistance.   I will get around to pulling the M10 apart over the next few weeks and generally mess around.  There is no urgency as it is a second laptop and I prefer the desktop.   If I stuff the screen up I'll probably just disconnect it, add some external drives and use it either as a serer, NAS or turn my telly into a bit of a cluey one.

I'll let you know when something happens.

Regards,

Royce

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

You are most welcome rrvau  :)

Will look out for any future updates from you  :thumbsup: