Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop CPU spikes with very little activity (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Avast and Windows Defender not playing nicely perhaps!

Would suggest trying a clean boot before condemning the notebook to the scrapheap  :yes:

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
I got rid of Avast and it seems to be picking up a bit. I'm going to be pretty much using this for word processing anyway in the future. I'll see how it does over the next few days, so you can close my topic. Besides, gives me an excuse to laptop shop. ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

While not ideal no longer having Avast running it does at least make the notebook usable of sorts, it may be worth trying having Avast installed/running and disabling Defender if only to rule it out as the cause, while testing you could then also be online shopping for a new notebook  :)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

While not ideal no longer having Avast running it does at least make the notebook usable of sorts, it may be worth trying having Avast installed/running and disabling Defender if only to rule it out as the cause, while testing you could then also be online shopping for a new notebook  :)

I agree with you regarding that. I'm going to go ahead and consign this machine to the word processing work and keep it off the web. I appreciate all the help. :) You can mark this one as solved. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are most welcome  :)