Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing 1 Ultrawide Curved Monitor Between 2 PCs @ Native Resolution -

• Please log in to reply

gojay76

gojay76

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello fellow geeks:

I share a standard 16:9 HD monitor between two PC workstations.  PC 1 is my administrative computer for basic business productivity. PC 2 is my 3D animation/rendering computer. Quite often throughout the workday, I switch back and forth between both using a StarTech KVM switch.

I’d like to replace my 16:9 monitor with a new 21:9 ultra-wide curved monitor. Since I don’t see any KVM switches for 21:9 ratios, is it possible to share one 21:9 ultra-wide curved monitor between two PCs via their input connections in the back? If so, which one(s)?

Every monitor that I’ve seen has 1 DisplayPort and 1 or 2 HDMI port(s), but unless it’s HDMI 2.0 then I won’t get the full benefit of ultra-wide format, correct?

I’ve been looking for days and I’m weary of searching. Some help would be appreciated. Is it possible to share one 21:9 curved monitor between two PCs at maximum native resolution?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry you haven't gotten a reply before now but yes it is possible to to share a 21:9 monitor at it's native resolution of 2560x1080 depending on capabilities of the hardware you're using. eg:- do the gpu's in both your pc's support such a high resolution in the first place? a lot won't.

here is a kvm switch which is good for resolutions up to 2560x1600 @ 60Hz :- http://www.startech....io~SV231DVIUAHR

:popcorn:

is it possible to share one 21:9 ultra-wide curved monitor between two PCs via their input connections in the back? If so, which one(s)?

sorry no only 1 pc can be connected to a monitor at a time as far as i'm aware, those different connection options just give you more options on how you connect that 1 pc, so you will still need to us a kvm switch to connect 2 pc's to a single monitor.

seems i'm a bit behind the times and it is possible to now connect 2 pc's to a single monitor but all the hardware needs to be dual link compatible.

Dual Link-up

The Dual Link-up feature allows two devices to be displayed simultaneously on a single screen. With the monitor, you can connect and watch a movie from a Blu-ray player while working on an Excel spreadsheet from your PC. With the 29UM65's upgraded Dual Link-up, it enables HDMI+HDMI links, now you can connect devices more conveniently.

* Dual Link-up requires specific combination of HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI-D(Dual link) connection with each device.

http://www.lg.com/uk...itors/lg-34UM95

Edited by terry1966, 27 September 2015 - 05:18 PM.