Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows backup is eating up half my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

bigdan

bigdan

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Issue:
My external HD is 1.5 TB. Right-click/Properties gives 1.05 TB used, 313 GB free.
But if I look at the contents on the right pane of windows explorer, highlight them all and rightclick it shows only 453 GB used. The rest seems to all be occupied in windows backup.

I went to Manage Windows Backup (via Ctrl Panel) and this is what it shows (I'm rounding)
Data File Backup 80GB
Sys Image 550 GB
Other Files 450 GB
Free Space 315 GB
Total Size 1.36 TB

When I click View Backups it says Backup Period May-Sep 2015, 80 GB.

10 mins ago I went to the third section in that window, clicked Change Settings (of the Sys Image) and changed from Let Windows Manage Space for Backup, to Keep only the latest image. Should I have done that? Anyway it didnt make much of a difference. Maybe a few gigs.

I've run WinDirStat but that doesnt show any folder that's unusually large. It does show 5 files with 0 size. 2 are gibberish names, then DAN-PC, then System Volume Information, then Windows Image Backup. Earlier I assume DAN-PC is my backup since that was the only one I was seeing in Explorer, and it had 0 space. And I didnt see the Windows Backup folder. But now I see it.

Best,
Dan

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

It's an age old non-problem. Hard drive manufacturers use "decimal" (power of 10) and Windows uses "binary" (power of two).

1,500,000,000,000 bytes means 1.5 TB in decimal but only 1.36 TB in binary.

1 decimal TB = 1,000,000,000,000
1 binary TB = 1,099,511,627,776 (2^40)