Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC rebooting while gaming

• Please log in to reply

Eadan

Eadan

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello, I have been having problems with my PC rebooting everytime I try to play graphic intensive games for the last 6~ months (lately, MGS5 and Pillars of Eternity). Here are the PC specs before I explain further:

PC Specs : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xhn9D3

It doesn't happen during regular use, or during stress testing the CPU or graphics card, or both at the same time. But when I tried to play MGS5 for the last 3 times, my PC rebooted everytime before or just at the main menu. In Pillars of Eternity, I can play for a while, monitoring the GPU temperature, but my PC occasionaly reboots when the GPU temp is around 54 degrees C. My GPU can go upto 70C + in Furmark with no problems, and the CPU cores go upto 50C in Prime95, with no errors in 30 minutes of testing. ( They are both at stock speeds for troubleshooting)

I am suspicous of the GPU since it had one fan malfunctioning for a while, and I bought a new pair that works fine. When I decrease the core voltage, core clock and memory clock in MSI Afterburner, games tend to last longer before any problems, but on the other hand the stress tests suggest the problem isn't temp related. I already ordered a MSI GTX970 Gaming 4g as I needed an upgrade anyway , but I will be receiving it in 20 days, and want to make sure the issue is purely graphics card related before then.

I recently turned off "restart on system failure" feature in my Win7 64bit to see if I will get a BSOD, but the PC just reboots without any BSOD. I tried viewing the event logs, but don't know how to view the ones specific to the reboot among all kinds of events. I already checked on board voltages and they are all in +-%5 of specified.

So if you have any other suggestions to find the cause, or would like me to test again with specific settings, I would really appreciate your help.

Advertisements

Mac29

Mac29

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

One simple way to double check it IS graphics/cooling is to open up your case and run a fan directly on the components while gaming. If it does not reboot I'd say you have an answer. That temp for your GPU looks pretty reasonable but I'd say oc-ing anything is an immediate indicator for me. Other than that, not sure: doubt it's ram or PSU since non-gaming is fine. Unless your PSU is struggling when gaming. Also don't think it's cpu since again your temps looks ok.

You could also turn down the AA, etc. and see if lower quality helps re: your GPU and this issue. Good luck.

Eadan

Eadan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

One simple way to double check it IS graphics/cooling is to open up your case and run a fan directly on the components while gaming. If it does not reboot I'd say you have an answer. That temp for your GPU looks pretty reasonable but I'd say oc-ing anything is an immediate indicator for me. Other than that, not sure: doubt it's ram or PSU since non-gaming is fine. Unless your PSU is struggling when gaming. Also don't think it's cpu since again your temps looks ok.

You could also turn down the AA, etc. and see if lower quality helps re: your GPU and this issue. Good luck.

Running games on lower settings increase stability with older games, but doesn't really help with newer games.

When you say "run a fan directly on components", do you mean an external fan or using fan controllers to turn on or accelarate case/cooler/card fans?

GDM67

GDM67

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Run a box fan or whatever you have available pointed directly into your case "remove the side panel" and blast it. if it shuts off your have eliminated  overheating.

I would then suspect a power dip or spike from the PSU, memory, or video card failure.

Memory testing: Use memtest x64 or 86 boot disk, "your choice". Boot the pc from the CD you created, "then let it run several passes and see if errors pop up" if no errors pop up you eliminated the ram.

Video card failure: Install the card you ordered if it shuts down then it's definetly the power supply. Even if it is the power supply keep the card. :D

Look for namely the amperage across the PCI-E 6 & 8 pin connectors, you can have plenty of wattage on a PSU rating. But still not enough amperage to run the card effectively, due to the way those amps are distributed across all the connectors.Especially true if your PSU barely made the cut from the onset, once cap degredation kicks in it can dip, then spike to make up for the system drain resulting in random shutdown.

Edited by GDM67, 20 September 2015 - 01:00 PM.

Eadan

Eadan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Run a box fan or whatever you have available pointed directly into your case "remove the side panel" and blast it. if it shuts off your have eliminated  overheating.

I would then suspect a power dip or spike from the PSU, memory, or video card failure.

Memory testing: Use memtest x64 or 86 boot disk, "your choice". Boot the pc from the CD you created, "then let it run several passes and see if errors pop up" if no errors pop up you eliminated the ram.

Video card failure: Install the card you ordered if it shuts down then it's definetly the power supply. Even if it is the power supply keep the card. :D

Look for namely the amperage across the PCI-E 6 & 8 pin connectors, you can have plenty of wattage on a PSU rating. But still not enough amperage to run the card effectively, due to the way those amps are distributed across all the connectors.Especially true if your PSU barely made the cut from the onset, once cap degredation kicks in it can dip, then spike to make up for the system drain resulting in random shutdown.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have any box fans unfortunately. I have hair dryer but I suspect it would have the opposite effect :D

But I keep monitoring temperatures of CPU and GPU cores, motherboard, hard disk and auxiliary(?) temperatures using Open Hardware Monitor and haven't seen any go above 55C before reboot.

I ran MemTest and couldn't find any errors. I didn't know it would take 5 hours though. :D So far I know my PSU is mono rail, and only 2 modular PCI-E connectors are connected out of 4 possible. I will learn more about current requirement and capacity of the GPU and PSU and post again.

Edit: So people are saying corsair hx750w is enough even for SLI setups.

I am also suspicous of the case fans. 2 of them is connected to onboard connectors, and the other 2 are connected to a solo PSU molex with seemingly unnecessary cable/adapter mass. Since I can't measure their speed, I don't know if they can draw enough power. Should I consider buying a fan controller? 

Edit: Also may using a power cord extender cause issues? Should I try plugging PSU power supply cable directly to wall outler?

Edited by Eadan, 21 September 2015 - 04:59 AM.

Mac29

Mac29

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Eadan I'm unfamiliar w/fans and discerning how much power they draw. I'm unaware of an extension impacting the PSU but am thinking those thin extensions may heat up and fail under certain conditions vs. the good thick ones w/I would think are rated higher. I usually advise investing in a good UPS for power surges & brown outs. Don't think you need to buy fan controllers.

If you do suspect the PSU and can switch it out w/ one that's higher rated &/or better quality that sounds like a good way to cross off one piece.