Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

repair LCD screen: different manufacturers?

LCD

• Please log in to reply

Mac29

Mac29

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

OK I give up. Why no search function for the forums? It makes it quicker to just post my Q but I find the lack of easily found search a bit odd.

I have an lcd with major scratches and an lcd w/a bad power board. Both 22" and 'wide'. Is it typical to find the screen in one can be replaced with another from a different manufacturer? Will this sometimes work? Or depends on certain factors? I know many are actually manufactuered by the same Chinese

company.

Thank you,

Mac

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi Mac29,

Sorry that you had trouble finding the search functionality, however the search located on the very top of the page will search for contents within this website. If you are unable to use it, it might have to do with one of your extensions. (In fact I faced a similar problem and was frustrated not being able to receive search results; however, after enabling Google AJAX Search API, within my Ghostery plugin, the search functionality started to function normally.)

Also regarding the question of LCD panel swap, you will need to check voltages (internal voltages, not your AC power), check to make sure that the pins (and pin locations) are the same, and check to make sure signals are the same on each pin. It is not an easy task to verify everything, and is not a suggested procedure, unless you are willing to fry your components, and/or deal with serious bodily injury or death. :smashcomp:  :no:

Computers and components are sometimes manufactured by the same company for different OEMs, however please keep in mind, that they are based on different specifications, and hence more than likely will not work with each other.

So in short, it is not suggested that you do it, however you may try playing with it at your own risk.