Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant log in

• Please log in to reply

jaysgirl79

jaysgirl79

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello, and thank you for taking time to look at this.

I have an older laptop that has been running fairly well until the other day when I went to log on as uual and it said the user profile could not be loaded. I have tried several different things to get it to stop. None of which have worked. I now also have another message that pops up as an application error saying the instruction at big long number referenced memory at big long number. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000010. I do have another laptop but it does not have a disk drive so I cannot burn a recovery disk and I didn't get one with the original. PLease help!

Jody

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello jaysgirl79,

Two possible causes, a damaged/corrupt OS and a flaky HDD.

I have tried several different things to get it to stop. None of which have worked. 

Can you tell us what you have tried.

Can you also tell us the brand and model name or number of the notebook and whether or not there is any data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up.

jaysgirl79

jaysgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi, here is what I can find on it. It is a Gateway notebook model # is MS2285. I tried going into safe mode and it will not allow me to do that. It also often says windows did not start properly and to do a startup repair which does not help. I do not have another user profile at all so that wont help. I have tried switching to boot from a disk but the only disk I had was a very very old Knoppix disk and it didn't work. I tried to make a windows recovery disk on a usb drive but it didn't work or else I wasn't switching the right boot priorities.... I do have a lot of pics and videos that I was unable to backup on it. Thanks for your help.

tuufulhundin

tuufulhundin

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I am not able to log into my main pc, it has windows 7 premium. It isn't telling me anything except that my user name and password are incorrect.

When I tried to reset the password it wants a password reset disk, but neither myself nor my hubby made one.................what the heck do I do?

Thanks and I don't mean to hijack or anything....................but it looks like we may be having the same issue except for different reasons...............

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Apologies for the delayed reply jaysgirl79  :(

First thing that I suggest you do if you have access to another computer is to download Puppy Linux and use it to see if you can secure your data, see below;

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/ 

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNGBurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above  C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

jaysgirl79

jaysgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Ok. I will try this. I will need a couple of days or more to get access to a computer with a cd burner though. Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

No worries and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

jaysgirl79

jaysgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Ok I have all of my pictures and documents off of that laptop. Now is there any way I can fix this user profile problem? I do not have a windows 7 disk...... Thank you so much for helping me recover 8 folders of pictures and videos!!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Glad to hear that you have been able to back up your data  :thumbsup:

Did your notebook ship with Windows 7 or Vista?

If Windows 7, check for a recovery partition;

Restart the notebook and hold down the ALT Key and repeatedly tap the F10 key, if one is present it should bring you to a boot sequence screen, if it does, choose the HDD and then hold down ALT and repeatedly tap F10 again that should prompt the restore feature. 

Please note that if there is a functional recovery partition present the notebooks HDD will be restored to out of the box new including the original OS being installed, do not proceed with using the recovery partition if the original OS was Vista, post back and let us know first.

jaysgirl79

jaysgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello, it is windows 7 home premium. I did what you said and there was no boot sequence. It took me to a screen with options to do factory restore. I chose the option which would save my user profile and started the restore. It has been going for a couple of hours and is still at 0%. I will leave it over night to see what happens unless you think I should stop it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

The layout/wording is not always the same with every machine but what you have done to a point is correct, the one problem though is if the issue is within your user profile/saved data and that is why a back to out of the box new restore may have been better, if the restore works without issue then you have done well.

We need to wait on your next update before suggesting anything further atm.

jaysgirl79

jaysgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

So the restore did not even get past 0 percent done and I had to shut the laptop down. Since then I have tried the complete factory restore twice and the same thing happened. It gets stuck at 10 percent and then a window pops up saying WIMApplyImage fail. Error: 0x45D. Then another one pops up after I click OK saying FAIL to restore increment image.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

As per my reply #2

Two possible causes, a damaged/corrupt OS and a flaky HDD.

In addition to the above, it is entirely possible that there is no factory recovery partition present.

Before contemplating trying to repair or reinstall Windows I would suggest that the HDD is thoroughly tested first, you will need access to a computer with internet access and a burner again for this, see the Seatools for DOS option here

jaysgirl79

jaysgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Ok, I will try this in the next couple of days and let you know as soon as possible! Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:thumbsup: