Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Bit Defender or Free AVG

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I just saw that bitdefender is better than avg. What do you think?

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Online Anti-Virus scanners are much better than those installed. That depends upon your choice and the infection that has done. Virus scanners that were installed on the system are much likely to be corrupted due to malwares, unlike online scanners.

On-line scan at this sites: Trend Micro or Panda Scan or BitDefender.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I mean Realtime autoprotection. Like during file download, file access, Etc. I got AVG.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Online scans are better as Kool808 mentioned, but the real time scans are ok provided you have the latest database installed. Plus, you need to keep in mind that one app is not going to catch everything. I've had ClamWin find stuff that AVG didn't. I've had TrendMicro's HouseCall find stuff that McAfee missed with their online scan.

There's too much malware out there and one app just can not keep up with it all. BUT, one is better than nothing and AVG will scan outgoing/incoming e-mail and downloadable files. It also is in the context menu when you right-click on a file and gives you the option to scan that one file. So does ClamWin and probably several others.

Your next best thing is to have a good firewall. I find the free ZoneAlarm keeps all my PC ports stealthed. I periodically check it out on a security site that runs tests and lets you know what ports are open or unsecure. It also has many other good online tests and a wealth of good information.

Ron