Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wi-fi and/or 4G for internet?

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have wi-fi with a repeater in my home. My tablets and laptop work on the wi-fi just fine; anywhere in the house I get good signal. My wife's Galaxy S4, and my LG G2 for that matter, seem to get good wi-fi signal but always seem to want to use the poor 4G signal for internet or facebook. Is there some way to set these phones up to have wi-fi as the preferred signal? Most of our data usage is done in a location that has wi-fi but both these phones seem to always want to use 4G which of course, uses data.

Advertisements

abhishekkhanna

abhishekkhanna

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Huh! I don't just get your point correctly? Or maybe if I am not wrong then why don't you just close your net data for the time wifi is in range? There are some settings in mobile which you can use to switch on and off your wifi signal and 4G internet as per your desires.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Hi there,Go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap Menu>Advanced, and see if you have an option for "Avoid Weak Signal." Uncheck it if it's present.

Well, it's not a weak wi-fi signal I'm trying to avoid. It's a weak 4G signal. See, they just completed a new highway close to my house and along this highway is a new cell tower. It's about a mile and a half from me. But did my Verizon signal get any better? Not a bit. So I'm stuck in this 4G dead zone. I can barely get a call or text to go through on any of our cells. We had to reactivate our land line just to make sure we have a phone that always works. But I digress...

The point is, while there isn't much we can do about the poor phone service, I would at least like to be able to have the phones do the wi-fi instead of the lousy cell signal so I can communicate with work and my wife can occasionally attempt to satisfy her Facebook addiction. I see how to turn off data usage so the device will still do calls and text but will use only wi-fi for data. That's fine when we're at the house or at work but outside of that, no data so you have to go back in and turn it on. I was hoping there was some hidden setting that would make the device use wi-fi if it's available but switch back to 4G if not.