Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer goes into Standby Mode

• Please log in to reply

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My computer continues to shutdown and go into standby mode by itself, especially when i'm on the internet or anything which uses the internet. Before my computer goes into standby mode it freezes and then shuts down. I have had this problem for 6 months now and it hasn't changed. I have taken the computer in to get fixed but whenever i get it back they say "it had a virus" yet the problem still persists, and i'm positive its not a problem.

Please help me with the problem, thank you.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > control panel > power settings

turn enter in to stand by to OFF for the moment....does it recur?

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes it still continues to shut down. I've almost tried everything, i've changed all the power options so that the computer never hibernates or goes into standby mode. It just randomly chooses when it wants to occur. I usually find myself using Msn Messenger or on Internet Explorer when it happens. Could it be somthing to do with the hardware? I am getting very annoyed with this consistent problem.

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Perhaps your system is overheating. Many systems will shut down if they get too warm; this is to prevent burning up crucial components. Is this a notebook pc or a desktop?

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Its a Desktop Computer, but i'm pretty sure that it isn't overheating because when i took it in they said that the fan was fine and everything wasn't getting to warm. Incase they made a mistake, what would be a temperature in which the computer would shut down at?

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
The shutdown temperature is usually controlled through a computer's BIOS. This is set for a good reason, and I would advise against changing the value. If the system is overheating the solution is to find out why it is overheating not to change the boundaries at which it will overheat.

If your machine is well ventilated and the computer techs said there was nothing wrong with the fans then overheating is probably not your case.

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm positive it doesn't have anything to do with the temperature. But if you could figure anything else out please let me know.

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I was wondering if by any chance it could be a deep hardware problem? It just came out of nowhere, one day it was fine then the next day it just hit and hasn't stopped since. This problem has been with me for more than 9 months and it hasn't taken its toll on me, if you could suggest anything more for me to do it would be much appreciated.

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*
Have you tried reformatting?

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi Jaz,

Right click My Computer<Properties<Advanced<Startup And Recovery Scroll Down to System Failure And Untick the "Automatically Restart" box.

This will pull up a BSoD (Blue Screen Of Death). Post that back here for us.

Jedi :tazz:

Advertisements

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
What brand/wattage is your PSU?

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi jaz,

Right click my computer, click properties<advanced and click "startup and recovery" settings. Scroll down and uncheck the box "automaitically restart".

Copy and paste this line into the "small dump directory" box in the same window.

%SystemRoot%\Minidump

When it happens again, it will give you a BSoD (Blue Screen Of Death,) and will add minidumps folder in C:\Windows\minidump for FAT32 XP, or C:\WINNT\minidumps for NTFS XP.

Order the minidumps folder by date, or select the most recent one and add it as an attachment here by clicking the browse button at teh bottom of teh reply window, search for the minidump file, and click "Add Attachment" then add reply.

Jedi. :tazz:

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but i've been busy. Anyways, I have changed everything you've told me and the problem still persists. I am yet to see the BSod (Blue screen of death) come up. It just keeps going into standby mode like in past times.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I thought you said it was restarting on you and shuting down?

Im not sure how its possible to shutdown and then go into standby mode. You mean, it restarts (no shutdown) and when it reboots, it stays in standby mode?

Edited by Jedi, 27 June 2005 - 05:44 AM.

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'll be on the Internet and all of a sudden the computer screen goes black, yet i can still here music playing or hear other noises in the background. It doesn't restart because i have to restart it manually. I'm not positive it goes into standby mode but I think thats what it is.