Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer goes into Standby Mode

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is not standby---your music would not be playing. that is loss of video signal.

will this occur with another monitor? Can you test it with one?

Advertisements

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'll try that and get back to you.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
LOL..yup, check the cable at the back of the monitor, if it makes a crackling noise when you push it in, use an older cable, one thats warn out.

Just to be sure, did you set the power options to never already?

If not, go to power options in control panel, and set stanby mode to never.

Jedi :tazz:

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm almost positive now that its the monitor because when I first recognized this problem I couldn't figure out what it was and when I took it in to be fixed they never had any problems and weren't capable of fixing it because they've never experienced it. When they use their monitors they don't have any problems. But incase it isn't the monitor could it be something wrong with my internet connection?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, but it could be your power supply or videocard

the power supply is one of the trickeist things to troubleshoot without proper equipment because a bad one causes the wierdest problems. If it is not supplying enough voltage, the monitor may not read the signal.

the videocard also supplies a signal to the monitor and a wonky videocard will have similar problems.

Your monitor may be more or less sensitive to power fluctuations then the pc repair shop, which could explain it, but I would tend toward the monitor first.

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm gonna stick with trying to find a monitor to test the problem first. We just got a brand new video card so that shouldn't be the problem.

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've finally borrowed a monitor and now am just testing it to see if the problem persists. I'll inform you of any changes.

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well i've found out that the monitor isn't the problem because i tried 2 different monitors and both of them went into standby mode just like before. I am really confused now. And your positive its not my internet connection? If you have any other ideas of what it could be let me know.

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well only other things I could think of are video card or PSU troubles like gerry said. Could you borrow a vid card and test it?

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The only thing is that I discovered this problem sometime in november, and about 1 month later i decided to take the computer in and get it fully upgraded, brand new everything including video card. Thats why i don't think its the video card because this problem didn't change at all when i got the computer back.

Advertisements