Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wi-fi dropouts in Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 wi-fi

• Please log in to reply

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Well, it's me again. I run Winows 8.1 on a Lenovo G700 laptop, and almost from the day I first booted the machine up, I've had a sporadic Wi-Fi dropout problem. Sometimes, my wi-fi drops off repeatedly, often every five or ten seconds, for minutes at a time. Also, sometimes I have to go through the disconnect-reconnect cycle three or four times. I've run the automated troubleshooters several times, but nothing turns up except an occasional reset of the wi-fi adaptor. Has anyone else run across this?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you check out with any other devices that connecting to the same wifi network also facing this same issue or only with your laptop?

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Dashing Star, I seem to be the only one who suffers from this.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Have you tried updating the Wireless driver from the Lenovo site: G700 Laptop (Lenovo)

LenovoG700.jpg

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I've tried, but the system is ot making the content available to me.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Yes without Internet connection, how you able to update drivers directly? 

You have to download drivers from another pc into external storage device like USB or External hard disk and you have to install it in your pc that not having wifi drivers.

I've tried, but the system is ot making the content available to me.

what do you mean by this?

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Dashing Star, I do have connectivity; when I bring up the page, it says "The content is not available." I've turned off Ad-Block and allowed all scripts under NoScript, but I still get the message. What am I missing?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try a different web browser. If using IE, try Firefox.

Could also try downloading the drive while booted to Safe Mode with Networking.

Roger Blair

Roger Blair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Sorry for the delay, Dashing Star and Ztruker; it took several days to get the driver downloaded. (A friend had to do the download on her machine a d cpy it to a USB stick for me.) I installed the driver, but it had no effect--I still get the dropouts. I'm trying to find a FREE hardware tester so I can rule out hardware problems. Suggestions, anyone?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

One way to do a hardware test would be to temporarily use a $5.00 (USD) WiFi USB adapter and see if the same problem occurs. If so, the problem is NOT the WiFi adapter in your laptop.

One way to test to see if it's a software (conflict) problem would be to boot into "Safe mode with networking" and see if you still get the "dropouts" with both WiFi adapters. If so, it could be due to WiFi interference.

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference

Interference

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.