Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer may be infected, continous issues and errors installing/runni

office 2013 error message download error message opening documen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Sorry for the trouble; I had similar issues with my own upgrade on two systems at home. 

The best way is to follow the steps here at Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool.  A side note; you can create an ISO image with the tool and later mount this to a USB drive or burn to a CD/DVD or Windows 8/8.1 has the built in ability to mount and use an ISO image directly.

I would think it a good decision to hold off on the MS Office until the OS is done.

Advertisements

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Sorry for the trouble; I had similar issues with my own upgrade on two systems at home. 

The best way is to follow the steps here at Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool.  A side note; you can create an ISO image with the tool and later mount this to a USB drive or burn to a CD/DVD or Windows 8/8.1 has the built in ability to mount and use an ISO image directly.

I would think it a good decision to hold off on the MS Office until the OS is done.

I did just that. It downloaded and was installing,and right when it was about complete, I got the "Microsoft has experienced and error and is shutting down", similar to the error messages I received when attempting to open and Office document.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

All the problems seem to indicate an corruption in the Registry.

The following should help us get the Refresh on Windows 8.1 working:

First, I would advise you to make a Windows 8.1 installation copy ( Create installation media for Windows 8.1 ).  This may take awhile to download but since you do not have a copy of the Installation media this may come in handy some day and in the next item.

Second, (after you have the Installation Media made) here are steps to reset part of windows to allow the Refresh to happen:

Unable to refresh or reset PC after Automatic Repair fails in Windows 8 == Microsoft article for reference

Go to Start > Settings (swipe or click on the right hand edge of the screen) > Update and Recovery > Advanced Startup > click on Restart Now.

On the menu that loads next, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

The system will seem to reboot but it is actually reloading itself; please sign in using an Administrator level account and password.

At the Command Prompt window, type in cd %windir%\system32\config and press Enter.

Type in ren system system.001 and press Enter.

Type in exit and press Enter.

The system should return to the Choose an Option menu screen.  Click on Troubleshoot > Refresh and follow the prompts ( I would think it will need the Installation Media created in the first note ).

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

All the problems seem to indicate an corruption in the Registry.

The following should help us get the Refresh on Windows 8.1 working:

First, I would advise you to make a Windows 8.1 installation copy ( Create installation media for Windows 8.1 ).  This may take awhile to download but since you do not have a copy of the Installation media this may come in handy some day and in the next item.

Second, (after you have the Installation Media made) here are steps to reset part of windows to allow the Refresh to happen:

Unable to refresh or reset PC after Automatic Repair fails in Windows 8 == Microsoft article for reference

Go to Start > Settings (swipe or click on the right hand edge of the screen) > Update and Recovery > Advanced Startup > click on Restart Now.

On the menu that loads next, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

The system will seem to reboot but it is actually reloading itself; please sign in using an Administrator level account and password.

At the Command Prompt window, type in cd %windir%\system32\config and press Enter.

Type in ren system system.001 and press Enter.

Type in exit and press Enter.

The system should return to the Choose an Option menu screen.  Click on Troubleshoot > Refresh and follow the prompts ( I would think it will need the Installation Media created in the first note ).

Well that worked. I was able to download office and open all documents. I will now attempt to download Microsoft 10, and then later Office 2016. As of now, I am good to go. Thank you.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Since you are now up and running, we need to remove the tools used and set some system check points ....

Clean up of Malware Removal Tools
Now that we are through using these tools, let's clean them off your system so that should you ever need to have malware removed again (we hope not) fresh, updated copies will be downloaded.

• Download Delfix from here to your desktop and double click it to start the program
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
  • Activate UAC
  • Create registry backup
  • Purge system restore
  • Reset system settings
    DelFixSelectall_zps0f04cec4.png
  • Click Run
  • The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please save this log file to your desktop and paste the log in your next reply.  You can delete the log after posting it.

You can delete any log files left on your desktop as these are no longer needed.

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

# DelFix v1.011 - Logfile created 27/10/2015 at 12:18:31
# Updated 18/08/2015 by Xplode
# Username : A-TEAM - ATEAM
# Operating System : Windows 8.1  (64 bits)

~ Activating UAC ... OK

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\FRST
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner
Deleted : C:\RegBackup
Deleted : C:\Users\A-TEAM\Desktop\INFO.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\A-TEAM\Downloads\MiniToolBox.exe

~ Creating registry backup ... OK

~ Cleaning system restore ...

New restore point created !

~ Resetting system settings ... OK

########## - EOF - ##########

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Thank you for the log file.  I have a few notes to help keep your system safe ...

As you state you are going to upgrade to Win10, I will not go into all the settings for Win8 / 8.1 but please make sure that Windows Updates are enabled and set to automatic (Windows 10 will actually make this the default and it is kind of difficult to change).

Now some information on programs to help keep you safe:

First, an Antivirus program. You NEED one; free is just as good as paid-for as long as you keep them updated. ONLY use one at a time as having more than that will cause system problems. Here are some free ones to check out:
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast! Free Antivirus

Next, a firewall is a must have now-a-days. The built in firewall in Windows 7 (or above) is fine (just make sure it is turned on (Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall)). Or, if you like, you could choose one of the free ones listed here:
Zone Alarm Free Firewall  -  installer includes foistware so read the options very carefully

Consider a program that will check for out-of-date programs on your system
Some programs don't have update checks built in or make you run the application to start the check for updates process. An easier way to stay on top of the current versions of your installed programs is to use a version checking program like Heimdal Free from Heimdal Security (you can get the software from here and read more about it on the same page).

=== options ====
Unchecky is a small service that runs in the background to help keep those "extra toolbars" and tag along search engines from automatically installing.  By automatically directing you to a custom install with all the options unchecked, only what you manually choose and confirm gets installed.

CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system.  You can read the details about this program here.

Also, consider adding MalwareBytes Antimalware to your arsenal of safe keeping programs. Use the free version (not the paid or trial version) and you won't have a problem with your antivirus scanner program. Keep it updated and run a scan with it once a week.

Lastly, if you use Firefox as your main web browser, consider adding the NoScript and AdBlockPlus add-ons to the browser to block scripting hijacks and remove unwanted ads from the pages you view.

You may also find some information and tips at this thread:
 How did I get infected in the first place?
and
COMPUTER SECURITY - a short quide to staying safer online

I'll leave this topic open for a few days so that if you have any questions you can come back here.

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Thank you for the log file.  I have a few notes to help keep your system safe ...

As you state you are going to upgrade to Win10, I will not go into all the settings for Win8 / 8.1 but please make sure that Windows Updates are enabled and set to automatic (Windows 10 will actually make this the default and it is kind of difficult to change).

Now some information on programs to help keep you safe:
First, an Antivirus program. You NEED one; free is just as good as paid-for as long as you keep them updated. ONLY use one at a time as having more than that will cause system problems. Here are some free ones to check out:Microsoft Security EssentialsAvast! Free Antivirus
Next, a firewall is a must have now-a-days. The built in firewall in Windows 7 (or above) is fine (just make sure it is turned on (Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall)). Or, if you like, you could choose one of the free ones listed here:Zone Alarm Free Firewall  -  installer includes foistware so read the options very carefullyConsider a program that will check for out-of-date programs on your system
Some programs don't have update checks built in or make you run the application to start the check for updates process. An easier way to stay on top of the current versions of your installed programs is to use a version checking program like Heimdal Free from Heimdal Security (you can get the software from here and read more about it on the same page).=== options ====Unchecky is a small service that runs in the background to help keep those "extra toolbars" and tag along search engines from automatically installing.  By automatically directing you to a custom install with all the options unchecked, only what you manually choose and confirm gets installed.CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system.  You can read the details about this program here.
Also, consider adding MalwareBytes Antimalware to your arsenal of safe keeping programs. Use the free version (not the paid or trial version) and you won't have a problem with your antivirus scanner program. Keep it updated and run a scan with it once a week.
Lastly, if you use Firefox as your main web browser, consider adding the NoScript and AdBlockPlus add-ons to the browser to block scripting hijacks and remove unwanted ads from the pages you view.
You may also find some information and tips at this thread:
 How did I get infected in the first place?
andCOMPUTER SECURITY - a short quide to staying safer online

I'll leave this topic open for a few days so that if you have any questions you can come back here.

Thank you. I've been without my computer for the past week. Would you mind leaving this for a few more days? I should have it back by the middle of the week. My wife needed to take it. Thank you.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Not a problem; please let me know when you are done and we will close this thread.  Thank you.

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I apologize. I should have it by the weekend. I will post on here once I have it and have downloaded the programs/info you have provided.

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Not a problem; thanks for the update.  The real world always takes priority over the cyber-world.

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Thank you. Everything seems to be on the up and up! Much appreciated!

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.