Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't recognize new SSD Dell Inspirion 1525 Vista

• Please log in to reply

justavet

justavet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I hope someone can help a tech challenged old guy.  I tried to do the upgrade to an SSD.  After cloning the drive, the computer won't boot.

I checked the cloned drive on a newer computer, it is seen in the USB ports and will boot, so I don't think there is an issue with the disk.  On the old computer in the BIOS is shows the 240 GB drive,  but it won't show on any of the USB ports and, as I said, it won't boot.  The SSD is a SP S60.  The BIOS is up to date.  Now I am stumped.  If anyone could help, I would need step by step instructions.  Thanks.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not sure by what you mean when you say it doesn't show up on any of the usb ports but when you clone the hard drive of the system your going to be putting it in, that is exactly what you do, clone the hard drive then remove old hard drive and replace it with the new ssd drive then when powering on the pc it should boot into the operating system just as if the old drive was still in there.

so assuming you've done this what error messages are you getting?

you also say it boots on a different pc, was that the pc you cloned the drive of? the drive will only boot in the pc that you cloned the hard drive of because of issues with drivers and stuff so you can not clone 1 pc's hard drive and then put the clone into another pc and get it to boot.

:popcorn: