Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook express gone corrupt "there was an error opening this mess

Best Answer PiersLX17 , 02 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

you can run the scanpst.exe repair tool located on your harddrive. & which is localted at PST file is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Local Settings\Application... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MichaelST17

MichaelST17

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I am repairing a winxp pc on which Outlook express has gone corrupted. When i first try to open an email it complains that it can't find a .pst file???? Which has nothing to do with OE and after this on every attempt to open an email or address book it says "there was an error opening this message".

Tried to create a new identity but as soon as I do this OE shuts down and won't open until reboot. Can still receive emails. 
Tried XP repair but when finished it wanted to activate windows before letting me login which I clicked OK to however all I get is a blank desktop background. So went back and reloaded backup image which I created before started repairs and ran sfc /scannow which did not solve the problem. I am trying to avoid a complete reinstall.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Advertisements

PiersLX17

PiersLX17

• Pip
  • 1 posts
✓  Best Answer
you can run the scanpst.exe repair tool located on your harddrive.

& which is localted at PST file is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
https://recoverytool...ok_express.html - Recovery Toolbox for Outlook Express tool is your reliable assistant in recovering messages from corrupted Outlook Express *.dbx files. It will help to organize the process of recovering correspondence from corrupted *.dbx files as clear and effectively as possible. 

jimmy19790422

jimmy19790422

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Outlook Express uses .dbx files to store email data.

While Outlook uses .pst files store email data.

For your case, if you confirm your system is using Outlook Express instead of Outlook, then you can first locate the folder where the .dbx files are stored, by following the instructions at https://www.datanume...air/finddbx.htm , or even use the Windows search function to search for all .dbx files on your computer. Then do as follows:

1. Backup the .dbx files.

2  Remove the .dbx files for all of the folders, as well as Folders.dbx.

3. Restart Outlook Express and see if it can be started properly.

4. If Outlook Express can be started properly, then try to replace the corresponding .dbx file with the actual .dbx file that you have backuped, until you find a .dbx file which will prevent Outlook Express from starting.

Remove the .dbx file that cause the problem and use DataNumen Outlook Express Repair at https://www.datanume...express-repair/ to repair the .dbx file and recover the emails inside it, then import the recovered emails back to Outlook Express.