Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Slow plus popup says Windows not genuine [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Here is the download link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/4r0mul

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that looks good, are windows updates installing now.. ?

If you are still showing as not genuine could you run the first two steps on this page http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

That bogus window is still showing. I will run those two programs now.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

When I go to the Windows update page, there is no button "activate now" but it shows that there are 5r3 windows updates and they failed to update.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm as the SUR check indicated that it had downloaded some updates

You appear to have a recovery partition so it may be time to use that ... Have you recently backed up the personal data and files on this system

As I stands there does not appear to be any malware remaining but the system files may be damaged/corrupted

How do you wish to proceed we can try to repair the system, with no guarantees that it will work
Or bite the bullet and go for a recovery

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Let's try the recovery partition. What files will I lose,f any, and how do I perform that recovery operation.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Below are the steps to do a recovery, there are two type :

First is a Recovery of factory default software this will wipe the hard drive and all data will be lost

Second is Recovery of factory default software with user data this will replace all Windows files but retain your user data folders only

There is a basic backup guide here, although it relates to XP the basic premis is the same http://www.geekstogo...all-of-windows/

Read this through and ask any questions that you have before you start

These are the steps specific to a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132.
1.Power off computer (If it will not shut down normally press and hold the power button until it powers off ­ about 20 seconds)
2.Identify the F8 key at the top of the keyboard
3.Power on the computer and begin to tap on the F8 key about 1 time a second (or quicker). If you see the computer boot back into windows for a login, you have missed the recovery screen. Please power off the computer and tap F8 a bit more quickly
If you cannot get the repair menu screen to come up, you will want to check your keyboard or you may have a hardware problem that needs service at Micro Center.
4.At the repair menu you will see several options for "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with networking", and "Repair your computer" as well as others. Choose "Repair your computer" by using the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the highlight up and down.
When Repair your Computer is highlighted you can press the enter key (return key) to go into that menu.
5.The next menu will have the following items:Startup repair
System Restore
System Image recovery
Windows memory Diagnostics
Command Prompt
Toshiba Recovery Wizard ­ Choose this menu item by using the arrow keys to move the highlight and press enter
6.The next menu will have the following items:Recovery of factory default software
◦This will erase the partition information and reformat the drive. ALL DATA WILL BE LOST! It restores the computer to the state it was in when it was new without any data. After completion the computer will need to be set up again just like when it was first purchased.
Recovery of factory default software with user data
◦This does not partition or format the drive, but replaces all the windows software and original folders. Your programs that were added after you purchased the computer will need to be reinstalled
Erase the hard disk
7.Choose the recovery option above that best suits your needs.
8.The system will now start the recovery you requested. This will take about 1 hour and the system may reboot several times as it sets itself up.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Re-opened at the user's request.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Could you update on the current situation

Advertisements

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

As it was last left, the handler is suggesting a complete recovery.

I will discuss with my wife. If the backup to all her data is not too difficult, I'd be in favor of doing this. The one sticking point always is her email. Outlook has such a goofy way to save and restore, that I haven't had much success backing up Outlook email and then restoring it.

I will get back to you after I discuss this tonight.  The solution might be sending me a procedure for a step by step save and restore of Outlook.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is that outlook which is part of office ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.