Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop Problems

• Please log in to reply

jenfur116

jenfur116

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[FONT=Geneva][COLOR=green]
:tazz:

All right my dad messed up my computer and I don't know how, he won't tell me specificly what he did so here is what I know.

When he went to a website he got two popups and one ran a program quickly before he could close it and the other covered our desktop with an ad that said our computer was infected. We've had the second thing before which ended up being an ad that just attached itself to the background and when you drag it down there is a way to x it out, so he closed that but couldn't close the first thing that ran the program.

Now after that what happened was that two new icons appeared in the taskbar and on the desktop. My dad removed one of them in remove/add programs and the second was not there and he deleted the shortcut to it.

Now he decided to restart the computer and that was a terrible mistake because what happened as a result my windows xp is now on a loop that is reloading the desktop every 5 seconds. It is still possible to get online if you click quickly into a program but we are unable to on my documents or my computer or anything else in general that does not usually instantly come up.

The only other thing I was told was that it reseted our Internet Explorer homepage and now it is on blank. I found a sheet of paper with a site on it so I'm assuming that that is what it was reset to but I could be wrong

http://www.microsoft...=ie&ar=iesearch

Anyway if this is a repeat of another problem I am sorry it is just with the computer pausing every 5 seconds as the desktop is refreshing I can't
really click and read everything.

The only thing that I can think of as a possible solution like system restore or whatever isn't an option because we had turned it off to get rid of a previous problem and so it would only restore another issue. That and the recovery disk isn't working, it doesn't pop up when you stick in a disk and since we only get 5 seconds it isn't enough time to urn and search for it.

I know, the computer has a million issues and I'm sorry, any help at all you could give is better than what we have now though...

JenFur

Edited by jenfur116, 14 June 2005 - 02:42 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there are a few options.

#1 go through the process on this forum of scanning for Malware/Spyware
#2 download adaware personal, or the windows antispyware beta
#3 if there is nothing important on the machine and you have a couple of spare hours format the harddrive and start from scratch (assuming you have your windows cd)

jenfur116

jenfur116

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur?

View Post

This didn't work, at least in this case, I tried it about 5 times pressing it rapidly and my dad did as well. :tazz:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Try F5...