Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD's and HDD's...

• Please log in to reply

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

**Warning: This might be complicated for some..**

So, a while back, I bought this System. It still works great too. I just have 1, small issue though. My SSD, which runs all Windows files is quickly becoming full. I've done various things to try and solve this issue, but nothing I do, has a "long lasting" effect on the drive. Usually within an hour, or two, I get spammed out by Windows warning me that I have (no. Literally not a bit left) of space left on the Disk.

I've tried reducing the pagefile.sys file. Originally, it was ~5GB. I've reduced it, to 4GB. I've removed the 16GB file, (hiberfil.sys). I've re-directed all temp file for programs, and windows to my 2TB HDD drive now. I've re-directed any Firefox downloads to ask me where to download to. (It's generally my D:\ (HDD), but I also have a fileshare that it can write too as well....) I'm quickly running out of ideas on how to clean this mess up. Programs (I deem) essential to me, are shutting down. Eg: Skype.

In addition, I have move the Install directories for ALL Steam, and NVIDIA files to my D:\ now. I'm running out of 1) Things to disable, I do not need and 2) Things to move out of the way.

So, my question to you guys now (Finally eh?) Is there a way to Extend the "SSD" space, using my 2TB, HDD? Or; are there things, such as my User folder (Which, btw, I run only 1 account) to another area, in an effort to reduce space taken.

Or, finally, is it time I bite the bullet and fetch a new, 128GB SSD? (This is preferably the last resort option).

Advertisements

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Alright, another temp fix. Completely removed the pagefile.sys file... So another 4GB, likely won't last long though.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

I don't have a solution for you right now, I think that two important peaces of information are missing in your topic.

- What is the size of the actual SSD?

- Which Windows are you running?

- Did you try something like TreeSize Free to identify the bigger folders?

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

1) The formatted, usable size is 29.8GB.

2) I've been using WizTree to locate folders and files larger then ~200MB in any given area that aren't needed for my system or task. The most recent found upwards of 7GB of Windows files, and a few VMWare files (Oops.) keeping it clean will be a challenge.

Note: Sometimes Wiztree is a Hit/Miss sort of thing. Sometimes I have to live with the disk being stupidly low on space, sometimes I find files that are in the Gigabyte range.
Note 2: VMWare files should be limited to my 2TB drive. Apparently I had not quite redirected my installs.

Thanks for the help.