Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer was randomly shutting off now running extremely slow and can

windows 7 really slow video

• Please log in to reply

zad0909

zad0909

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello,

I am trying to fix my dads computer and am pretty stuck. He built this computer via digital storm 6 years ago. Over the last 3 years it has really been acting up with hard drive issues. I thought we had resolved them all and the computer was running fine for about 6 months until 4 days ago.

My dad was playing a game, Heroes of might and magic V, when his computer suddenly shut off. This has not happened before this and there was no power surge. The computer was the ony thing that turned off despite it being connected to a power strip and a few other things were connected to the same strip and did not turn off. Since that power down the computer has been acting really wonky.

Initially, the computer would shut down randomly, usually after no more than 10 minutes after turning it on. I suggested my dad try a different power strip and plug in the house to make sure this was not a power issue in the house. After doing so the computer stopped randomly turning off and now just runs really slowly.

During boot up the computer will load BIOS etc and that goes fine. But it starts doing something called a DMI check and this is where things slow down. The DMI check used to take a few seconds and now takes about 1 minute. After the DMI check it goes to Loading Windows screen (he is on windows 7). Here the computer will generally freeze. The 4 colorful dots never appearing. After shutting down the computer with a hard reset the process starts over and will this time get past the Windows Loading screen, but very slowly. At this point he is able to log in and the computer functions mostly normally. The desktop loads normally and the internet runs normally.

When we start his games they will studder and have a lot of FPS drops/lag. I believe this is because his graphics cards are running hot. He has 2 SLI'd Geforce 285 on is running at 70C the other at 50C. I have been unable to find out at what temperature they start to bottleneck at.

Regardless, I don't think the graphics cards would hinder the initial booting process and the constant crashings and occasional (every 5 or 6 boots) BSOD. That is what brings me here. I am hoping to get help in figuring out what is causing the slow boot and boot crashes and the BSOD. I have attached the specs for my dads computer lemme know what to do next.

Thanks!

Edited by phillpower2, 27 September 2015 - 04:17 AM.
Removed attachment for security as it contained the product key for the Windows 7 OS.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:   zad0909,

But it starts doing something called a DMI check 

This is where the BIOS is checking out the hardware for issues, what you describe could be a sign that the HDD is flaky as one possibility or a loose memory stick or add on card another.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Speccy cannot tell us the PSU brand and model number ect so can you provide the details for us.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

zad0909

zad0909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...jieredDeM3NjHOS

Here is the published url.

zad0909

zad0909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...aunrGw1gys68Wag

Realized an update had not been done for a month.  Have updated and posted new url.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Speccy cannot tell us the PSU brand and model number ect so can you provide the details for us.

Nothing of note in Speccy that would explain the issue so it may be necessary for you to open up the case to reseat the memory sticks and video cards, are you ok with doing this, before doing the above I would suggest that you try restoring the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS, they are some times listed as "most stable" or "fail safe settings" any "optimized" setting that may be listed should be disregarded as it is a form of overclocking that can aggravate the issue.

Please note that if you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  thank you for understanding.

Polite reminder;

Tip
To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

zad0909

zad0909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Have checked my Bios settings and nothing has changed, they are still on factory settings.  Have reseated my memory sticks and video cards.  Also have checked my connections to my hard drives.  No change to my booting issues or slow speeds.