Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firefox Not Responding After Update

• Please log in to reply

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

My firefox updated automatically a few days ago and since then, when I am on a webpage or click on one, it will just keep saying Firefox not responding and the circle will just keep rotating. I tried restoring to an earlier date and my bookmarks were gone and it looked weird. So I went back. Can follow instructions, but I am certainly not totally computer savy. I am on an HP laptop with Windows 7. Thank you.

Advertisements

nordvark

nordvark

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 558 posts

Hi, I dont use Firefox any more either, prefer Palemoon. What you could try is holding down the shift key whilst you click the firefox desktop icon. This will allow you to start firefox in safe mode. Once started open add ons and disable all your extensions including plugins and appearance extensions.

Restart firefox in normal mode and if it starts ok that means its an add on. What you have to do then is restart all add ons one at a time until you find the offending one. Chances are its one of them.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

thanks I'll try that.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

so far so good. thank you. I believe it would have done it already by now. Never knew you go into firefox safemode that easy, so thanks for that tip.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

well it is doing it again. I think it is the flash player. Not sure. But what can I use to play games and watch video without the flash player?

nordvark

nordvark

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 558 posts

Make sure you have the latest version of Flash, and disable it except when you have to use it.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

it says it is up to date. So do I use ask to activate or never activate until I need it? I tried to play Poker on Facebook and it completely hangs. That is why I thought it was the flash player, but it will do it sometimes after I am just searching. It was good until firefox updated a few days ago.

nordvark

nordvark

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 558 posts

Neither flash player or firefox requires activation?????

You said it was ok for a while when you disabled all addons. Can I suggest you again disable ALL addons and run firefox for a while, if it is ok after that then enable one addon and try that for a while, then enable another etc.

Why not try another browser for a while?

Poker on facebook, be careful

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

I am trying again. On the add ons, it has by the plug ins choices, ask to activate, never activate, always activate. Everything was ok until that update from firefox. What browser do you suggest and would I have to uninstall firefox so both do not use up too much space? If it happens to be the flash player, what can be used to play games and videos other than that?

Edited by msbug, 01 October 2015 - 07:47 AM.

laboh

laboh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem , I keep getting a crash report

nordvark

nordvark

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 558 posts

I am trying again. On the add ons, it has by the plug ins choices, ask to activate, never activate, always activate. Everything was ok until that update from firefox. What browser do you suggest and would I have to uninstall firefox so both do not use up too much space? If it happens to be the flash player, what can be used to play games and videos other than that?

I suggest never activate until you find the culprit, wouldnt blame flash yet.

If you are used to firefox and want to try another browser, have a look at palemoon, its built around the same engine and will look familiar. I havent found a firefox  addon that wont work with it. You can run it beside firefox until you decide which one you want. Palemoon is like firefox before mozilla told us what we would like, and what we wouldnt. If you decide to have a look at palemoon install the 32 bit version even on a 64 bit system. That will ensure maximum compatibility with addons.

Cheers

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

thanks Nordvark. I activated flash and it has been good, then silverlight and it's ok. Will try and add another one. If I install Palemoon, do I keep Firefox installed. Will two browsers use too much resource and slow me down?

nordvark

nordvark

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 558 posts

thanks Nordvark. I activated flash and it has been good, then silverlight and it's ok. Will try and add another one. If I install Palemoon, do I keep Firefox installed. Will two browsers use too much resource and slow me down?

Sorry, forgot to say you can run the 2 browsers side by side, they will be completely independent of each other, and if and when you decide to get rid of either one it will not take out the other.

Bet you will keep palemoon.

Have read here Firefox vs Pale Moon Browser

PS: dont be concerned about the reference to duckgo searches, you can easily make any search engine your default.

Cheers

Edited by nordvark, 01 October 2015 - 09:29 PM.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

thanks Nordvark for all your help.

nordvark

nordvark

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 558 posts

You are welcome and good luck.