Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I upgrade wifi device with other brand antennas without performanc

Non-brand wifi antenna Performance issue wifi antenna maximum range

Best Answer dsenette , 01 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

with external antennas, the generally most important thing is that the connectors are the same on the device and the antenna. if it's got the same connector it should generally be fine. obviously w... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mershan

mershan

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I bought a ALFA AWUS036NHA wifi adapter. But I couldn't find the Genuine ALFA 9dBi antenna. I'm out of USA and I only use eBay. So in eBay But other sellers have non-brand 9dBi antennas. But I want to make sure 'should I buy Genuine ALFA antenna' or is it fully compatible other brands or non-brand antenna for my device without any performance drop. Is 9dBi antenna the maximum one, can upgrade to this device to improve its performance. As seller's description it's a 2000mW wifi adapter.

But anyway very important thing what I want to know if I'm gonna upgrade my wifi antenna, should I want to buy a genuine that wifi device manufacture's own wifi antenna or can I upgrade with a non-brand wifi antenna? If I can with non-brand one is it gets me any performance issue???

Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

with external antennas, the generally most important thing is that the connectors are the same on the device and the antenna. if it's got the same connector it should generally be fine. obviously with "off brand" items, the biggest concern is manufacturing quality....you know the old adage, you get what you pay for. so, there could be manufacturing defects or inconsistencies in the product description vs what the product actually can do.

external antennas (in most cases) are just specifically arranged groups of wires and antenna components so there isn't really a "compatibility" thing involved on a software/firmware level. if the specs of the off brand are the same as the brand name one it should be fine

mershan

mershan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

with external antennas, the generally most important thing is that the connectors are the same on the device and the antenna. if it's got the same connector it should generally be fine. obviously with "off brand" items, the biggest concern is manufacturing quality....you know the old adage, you get what you pay for. so, there could be manufacturing defects or inconsistencies in the product description vs what the product actually can do.

external antennas (in most cases) are just specifically arranged groups of wires and antenna components so there isn't really a "compatibility" thing involved on a software/firmware level. if the specs of the off brand are the same as the brand name one it should be fine

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge :)