Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I return this computer - Screen blacks out while in Bios

• Please log in to reply

Doctor G

Doctor G

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I've just bought a new laptop on Ebay but have had some issues as follows:

1) the guy sold it to me with windows 7, but it arrived with windows 8 which I hate, so I upgraded free to windows 10 but because my motherboard graphics does not have a windows 10 driver, the graphics chip isn't recognised and the graphics are awful.  I ran the Nvidia driver utility in compatibility mode to no avail.

2) the next day the screen stayed black - slightly illuminated but black for hours, despite several forced shutdowns and reboots - occasionally it would show my desktop for a second or so but no joy for hours.  So I then had the brainwave to try and start it in safe mode which I incorrectly thought I had to f10 on start up and enter bios to do so then thefollowing happened:-

3) I hit f10 to enter Bios but even when I was in BIOS, the screen would randomnly go black  or flicker and I couldn't do anything.  My understanding of BIOS, correct me if I am wrong, is that it does not run from the hard drive but the motherboard.  Therefore assuming this, then the problem with the black screen is nothing to do with installing bad drivers but a problem with the motherboard or perhaps the screen?  Not only would it go black, but coloured lines would flicker on the screen similar to when an TV screen gets broken and you have all those random coloured lines appear.

Do you think this blacking out display issue could be something other than a lack of drivers for the graphics card because of my upgrade to windows 10 - i.e as I suspect a motherboard or screen or other hardware problem?  Or would bad graphics drivers cause display problem while noted above in BIOS? 

Please help, feeling very desperate

Edited by Doctor G, 01 October 2015 - 03:54 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

return it.