Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

​RAR file is corrupt

• Please log in to reply

JeremyRS0399

JeremyRS0399

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It took me a good enough time to download this heavy RAR file which is about 3GB but to my utter shock it came out to be corrupted.
I am no tech but I can follow as step by step solution if anyone can provide in an easy manner. I have already search over lot of internet pages but I couldn't actually relate to that typically technical language.

Can anyone give a comprehensive guide to fix my RAR file or if there is any tool that I can use but it should be more automated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

standard solution to a corrupt file download is to delete it and re-download it. if it got corrupted during the download...you're not really going to have the information available to repair it.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi JeremyRS0399 :welcome:

Can you open the RAR file? Are you using the most recent version of Winrar?

After opening the file click the Info button, in the Recovery Record line does it say Absent?

Juliusveis0

Juliusveis0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
✓  Best Answer
i,

It takes lot of time to download a 2.5 GB file. You should repair corrupt file before extracting it. There is one inbuilt repair tool in WinRAR, which repairs corrupted ZIP and RAR files. steps are: 

1. Open WinRAR application
2. Click on file, and then select open
3. A find archive window will be opened, select corrupt zip file from your system
4. Click on open button
5. Press Alt+R
6. Repairing File Name.zip will be opened
7. Click on browse to save repaired file at desired location
8. Check Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP box, and then click OK
9. After corrupt ZIP archive is repaired, click on close.
Or read here:
https://winrarrepair...erytoolbox.com/ - Recovery Toolbox for RAR

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

i,

It takes lot of time to download a 2.5 GB file. You should repair corrupt file before extracting it. There is one inbuilt repair tool in WinRAR, which repairs corrupted ZIP and RAR files. steps are: 

1. Open WinRAR application
2. Click on file, and then select open
3. A find archive window will be opened, select corrupt zip file from your system
4. Click on open button
5. Press Alt+R
6. Repairing File Name.zip will be opened
7. Click on browse to save repaired file at desired location
8. Check Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP box, and then click OK
9. After corrupt ZIP archive is repaired, click on close.

Those instructions are almost correct but the steps 6 and 8 need to be adjusted to use a RAR file not a ZIP file! also this repair procedure will only work for RAR files if the file includes a Recovery Record.

Paul Brown41

Paul Brown41

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Jeremy, sometimes while downloading large size of RAR file might get corrupted. If your antivirus program in not updated and due to this, virus might damaged your RAR file or other reason. There are many repair tools available which will help you in fixing corrupt RAR file in an easy way. I hope this link will provide guidance for repairing RAR file http://nikinia.com/h...iles-accessible