Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected Shutdown

shut down laptop Asus unexpected black

• Please log in to reply

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
So this is the second time it has happened, and it has caused some concerns...

I was going about my day like usual: writing some documents, downloading some files, playing some games.
At an instant, without warning, the computer suddenly shuts down for no apparent reason (it turns off similar to how if you unplugged a computer without a power supply). The temperatures on my computer weren't at critical rates, and I had everything plugged in, battery and ac adapter. There weren't anything nearby that would have caused any interference as I was at an office desk, and I've been using my device there since I got it. I am not sure why it would just shut off as if power has been disconnected abruptly from the computer. I went on google and read that some others experience the same issue with their computers from the same manufacturer, which is an Asus.

When I turn the system back on, usually, when there is an unexpected shut down (BSOD and such), there would be an unexpected error window that pops up showing you details of the error. This doesn't happen though. The computer turns on normally as if you had shut your computer down from your previous use.

Thankfully, throughout my experience with this device (a little over a year now), it has only occurred twice. I just want to know what I can do to diagnose this problem because it shows no symptoms of anything. It doesn't really affect my computer, other than closing all the windows and programs I had opened, which can be irritating when I am doing multiple things at once.

Model: Asus ROG G750JM-DS71

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

so, step one, make sure automatic restart on system failure is turned off http://www.eightforu...le-disable.html  that way, if it is something that would create a stop screen (blue screen) you'll be able to see it. it might not be something that is a blue screen or system error so this still might not show you an error

it could be any number of  hardware failures, but....typically a system going straight to power off state like you're describing is heat related somewhere (usually processor but could be GPU), you said your temps looked fine, but still worth considering. make sure all the fans are clean and there's no junk in the computer. give the cpu cooler a little wiggle to make sure it's not loose. make sure all the components are properly seated while you're in there.

after that it could be the PSU failing. which is hard to test, but if you can get your hands on a similarly speced PSU you could try swapping it out and see what it does.

after that, motherboard failure? possibly RAM or CPU?