Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU Cooler Starts, shuts down after 10 seconds, repeats, (Solved)

Best Answer agent_numpty , 15 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

Success! My new mobo/cpu with the Cooler Master was a complete success. I do have a few errors that pop up when Windows 7 starts. Something to with ASUS Suite 2 but should be able to uninstall... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

As the title suggests, I bought a Cooler Master Hype 212 Evo for my i5 intel processor that fits to my P8Z77-V LX motherboard. I followed instructions to fit the cooler so it's not wrong.

Problem started when I switched the PC on again. I get no display at all from any of the 3 monitors (1 HDMI 1 DVI-N 1 DVI-D) on my GTX 760 graphics card. I tried moving it to a different PCI-E slot and still nothing. The system starts up, all fans working etc but then powers down after about 10 seconds then boots up again without me touching it. Still no display.

Please help.

UPDATE:

I've done a few checks with my rig.

Firstly, I tried without the GPU installed. Same result.

Next, I tried loading up the PC without the cooler to see if that was the issue. Same result.

I've checked the RAM sticks are secure because I had to remove 1 of them in order to clip the fan onto the cooler rig. They were OK and still no change in the results.

Edited by agent_numpty, 02 October 2015 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday agent_numpty.

This could be an overheating issue, did you

Remove all the old thermal paste from the top of the CPU?   use isopropyl alcohol or use a kit like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010

Apply new theral paste in the right amount?

Securely seat the CVPU fan plug at the CPU 4 pin header on the MB?

Are the heatsink locking pins fully engaged?   Look on  the back of the MB, you should see 4 locking pins sticking through, shown on this video.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I removed the stock cooler and wiped off the old thermal paste before applying the new thermal paste. 

It was my first time applying thermal paste since the cooler that came with the CPU was already pre-applied. I did research into how much paste to use so I'm confident I used the right amount.

There are no lock pins with the new cooler because it comes with its own rig to use which can be adjusted for for all LGA pin variations. The instructions were pretty rough with no text but I think it's been done properly.

I just removed the CPU cooler completely and still getting the same result.

Could it be that I've damaged the motherboard in the process of fitting the cooler?

Edited by agent_numpty, 02 October 2015 - 05:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the update.    :oops:  Missed it was an EVO.

I don't think you will have damaged the board, unless you overtightened the back plate screws. review the video, you can skip to the installation. If everything seems OK, but PC still fails to start, remove the evo and backplate, clean up the CPU and the stock cooler, apply new paste then install it.   Test and let us know the results. 

Note, the back plate must be the right way around.

the protective heatsink film must be removed.

The fan must blow air through the fins.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I took off the bracket from the cooler master, tried the stock cooler. Same result.

I also noticed these marks on the back of the motherboard? Should I be worried?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151003_1251091.jpg
  • 20151003_1251281.jpg
  • 20151003_1251381.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

From a picture, I can't really tell if the marks are damaged traces, or not.

I will ask a collogue to review the topic, to get a second opinion.

Please try.

Remove all components from the MB, i.e. GPU, RAM.

Disconnect all cables, except the 24V and 12V power and the CPU cooler plug, then test.

Is the MB still under warranty?

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I just checked the ASUS website, it says 3 years and I bought it Aug 2014 so yes, its still under warranty

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  Hopefully we can find the problem without a RMA.

Let's see what Phillpower2 has to say. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Such behaviour is typical of a short or a break in the printed circuit and unfortunately damaging the MB traces when fitting a CPU cooler is possible.

Couple of questions;

Am I correct that you are testing the hardware outside of the case.

You mention reapplying thermal compound but was the old material cleaned off using isopropyl alcohol or a kit as mentioned by iammykyl.

Have you checked the CPU for any bent or missing pins or traces of thermal compound that may have gotten onto the board or in the CPU socket. 

Sorry to have to say that if the board has been damaged when fitting any cooler ect the warranty does not cover it  :(

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

The mobo is still in the case. The pictures I took were of the reverse side of the motherboard when both case covers were removed.

I used a dust cloth to remove the old thermal paste, there was no alcohol involved but I did make sure none of the old or new paste touched anywhere other than the CPU itself.

Would it be cheaper to get my current mobo repaired or should I just buy a new one?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Phillpower2 for your opinion, which is what I surmised as well.

agent_numpty

It would cost more to have the board repaired, cheaper to buy a new one.   If you can mange without the PC for a couple of weeks, I would attempt a RMA before buying a new board, as it is possible the board just failed, not damaged by you.   after removing the CPU, you must fit the CPU protective cap before sending the board back.

Please let us know what you are going to do, and the results.

Good luck. 

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I think it would be pointless sending it off for repair since I'm sure the scratches are too deep to be considered as "faults" by the mobo itself.

The mobo I currently have has a LGA 1155 socket which I've found out lately that there are not very many processor choices to go by nowadays. I've been thinking of doing some streaming of video games on my PC and have been recommended to upgrade the processor to an intel i7 instead of the i5 I currently have. So the only choice I think I have is replace the mobo completely with a better processor.

Thoughts and recommendations of motherboards to use? I noticed the LGA 1150 fits alot of processors.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The downside to changing the MB, if you have an OEM Windows OS, any version, it is not transferable to a new MB, you would need a new OS.   If it is a Retail Windows OS, it is transferable.

Providing you are not going to do video editing, you do not need an i7, money is better spent on a top end GPU.   Are these you spoecs?

PC Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LX

Processor: Intel i5 3570K

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB

Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply

Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive  (Secondary) 

Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive (Primary)

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

yeah thats my specs. I think video editing will be a part of the streaming thing since I'll be able to do highlights etc.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

What would be your max budget?   In which country would you be purchasing parts?