Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU Cooler Starts, shuts down after 10 seconds, repeats, (Solved)

Best Answer agent_numpty , 15 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

Success! My new mobo/cpu with the Cooler Master was a complete success. I do have a few errors that pop up when Windows 7 starts. Something to with ASUS Suite 2 but should be able to uninstall... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

UK. I guess around £300. Was thinking these:

Processor: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819117369

MoBo: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130770

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

UK prices are a bit higher the USA.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/f3dqBm

Alternative search site, > http://www.staticice...AMING 5 &spos=3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

I would suggest that a barebones set-up is done outside of the case, only do this if you are confident enough to do so and follow the steps provided to the letter, any questions along the way please ask before continuing, see my canned text below;

Disconnect all power cords from the computer,ground yourself on a metal part of the chassis or PSU  remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the MBs video port to the screen (any add on video card must be physically removed from the MB), 1 stick of Ram in dimm slot 1 and the keyboard.

As your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header (see attachment below) to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, and continually ground yourself on a metal part of the chassis or PSU before handling any hardware.

Your MB does not have an onboard BIOS speaker which often helps with troubleshooting hardware problems, example here, consider obtaining one of these.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I'm fine with doing the barebones setup. My confidence is kinda blown with the thermal paste application to be honest. I've seen a few youtube videos with different methods and none of them actually mention how much to use and how much it should be covering.

When I applied, I put a pea-sized amount in the middle and used the CM to apply pressure to see how much of the processor would be covered. All but the corners were covered, is this sufficient?

With the old thermal paste completely wiped (no alcohol yet, should I order some?) and should I still apply the new CM cooler or the stock with fresh TP applied?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You apples the TIM correctly but, if you removed the cooler to see how the TIM spread, then reseated it and tightened the screws?   that was incorrect as air bubbles would be trapped between the CPU and heatsink plate.

Phillpower2 reminded me in a PM, you had run the computer without a cooler installed, so it is possible the CPU was damaged.   Do the barebones test and see what results we get. 

Yes, get a cleaning solution, buy new TIM, this one, as it is non electrically conductive, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186038

Use the stock cooler making sure all traces of paste is removed from it and the CPU.

Apply a pea-sized amount in the middle of the CPU, as you did before, lower the cooler into place and engage the push pins, attach the cooler fan to the CPU header on the MB.   Test.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I started working on the barebones test thing. Grounded myself with an anti-static wristband attached to the tower, stripped the components from my tower, found a piece of cardboard to lay my mobo on. Then I thought to double check the CPU by removing it completely from the mobo, I did find a tiny trace of thermal paste under the CPU. I guess that means RIP? I haven't gone any further because I know it's a serious thing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

If you are careful enough you should be able to clean off the surplus compound using the appropriate cleaning fluid and Q tips and then do the barebones set-up.

There are various methods of applying thermal compound and not just the Middle Dot (pea size amount) and Arctic Silver recommend a vertical line application for your CPU, see here

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, so a small update.

Decided to go with Amazon on ordering the cleaning gear and the arctic thermal paste since Newegg charges a fortune to deliver to the UK. They should arrive in the next 2 days.

Does thermal paste ever "go off" with expiry dates as such? Are they worth storing for future use?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Been using the same Arctic kit for a couple of years without issue so yes keep it somewhere safe  :thumbsup:

JAFYI: The suggested Arctic method of application is not set in stone for all brands of thermal compound and is only what they have found yields the best results, meaning that you did not necessarily apply the thermal compound incorrectly using the Middle Dot Method, albeit without properly cleaning off the old compound though.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

OK. Finally, the thermal compound/cleaning kit arrived! Yay!

The only micro fibre clothes I have are dust cleaning clothes but I guess they'll do? Also, is there a technique to applying this cleaning stuff? The bottles say to put a few drops on it and leave for 30 seconds.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

The video is just to show the basic method for removal of old paste and application of new paste.   I use Q tips (cotton buds) for first removing the majority of the paste, then a cloth or coffee filter for the final cleanup.   If you do not have the original CPU packaging to support the CPU, be sure to place it on a clean piece of cardboard.

https://www.youtube....bed/9VSDkB-3st4

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Well, with a boost of confidence from that video. I gave the barebones test a try.

Cleaned the cpu with the new kit, applied new thermal paste, got all rigged up.

No result. Does the same thing. Started up, after 10 seconds it shut off then restarted and no display at all throughout the process.

What's next? New mobo/cpu? I did some research into that Newegg site, it seems that to ship to the UK and they have restrictions because of dangerous goods limitations etc. Plus all the extra VAT and Shipping costs makes it more costly than Amazon. Just thought I'd point it out. :-)

Just a thought. Where I got my PC stress tested (philpower remembers I think), would it be an idea to get them to look at the motherboard/cpu/cooler setup? I could just take the motherboard to them to see if they can give me an opinion on the scratches?

Edited by agent_numpty, 10 October 2015 - 08:47 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry to hear, still a no go.

I use the Newegg site for reference as they appear to have the most comprehensive stock.   Buying then shiiping from them to another country is usually more expensive than your own country prices.

Please do the barebones test again with only the CPU installed, cooler fan plugged into the CPU fan header.   Nothing else, no RAM or display connection.

If still a fail, faulty MB and/or CPU.

Options. 

Bearing in mind, the PC shop will probable charge, Tel. them.  Can the test your CPU in another board?   Can the test your MB with another CPU?

If either fails, I would cut my losses and buy completely new, MB/CPU Socket 1150.

I can only find used boards, from £96.99 > http://www.amazon.co...44542785&sr=8-1

I con oly find the CPU on Amazon, 1 new from £249.98, http://www.amazon.co...3570k processor

cheaper to buy i5 4690K £178.00 http://www.amazon.co...=dp_ob_title_ce

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I did the barebones test without the RAM sticks in. Used the flat tip screwdriver to turn it on and it instantly shut off then a second later starts up again.

Decided to cut my loses anyway and upgrade to an i7 4790K with the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard. Should be here by Tuesday, will let you guys know if I have the PC up and running or if I need more help.

Just a question though, I got curious as to whether I was installing the Cooler Master incorrectly and looked up a load of YT videos for an LGA 1155 socket since the CM fits most sockets. I done it all correctly but in some, they used their finger to spread the TP, is this really a wise move? Doing the pea technique, the CM slides around a little bit when I try to fix the bracket on the mobo.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
✓  Best Answer

Success! My new mobo/cpu with the Cooler Master was a complete success.

I do have a few errors that pop up when Windows 7 starts. Something to with ASUS Suite 2 but should be able to uninstall it in Safe Mode since it won't let me uninstall in normal because it says something like "The model is not supported".

Thanks alot for all your help Phil and Michael. You guys are awesome.