Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software/hardware Tech question for troubleshooting a device

• Please log in to reply

Daflea20

Daflea20

• Pip
  • 1 posts

How much would it cost to make a program that "benchmarks" a system's devices to test for faulty equipment or wiring?

Basically I'm asking if it is possible to make a program to benchmark or stress test a singular device as well as testing them together. The program would be able to test each device and report results based on specs. So you could test the mouse and gpu at the same time, just the modem or internet, or any combination you see fit really(heck why not test the wires...lets go echo location with this business).

I'm not a trekky or a professional anything for that matter but always enjoy learning something new about the things and stuff. I just really want to know if its possible, that would be awesome(the possibilities are so nice if possible). You might have to dumb down the answer for me. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, look forward to the future. 

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I can't speak to the programming side of your question, but in general hardware components are tested individually on purpose. you're trying to limit variables as much as possible to pinpoint an actual fault in a system. to do that you have to isolate the parts from the system so that you know when one thing fails. if you're testing a bunch of unrelated stuff at the same time you increase the chance for false positives and general bad results.