Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop has started to freeze a lot (BSOD 0x0000001E)

• Please log in to reply

rei158

rei158

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello!

I bought this laptop a month ago, formatted and installed Win7 Professional 64-bit.
Until yesterday, it has worked fine, but after playing Runescape 3 (for the first time) from client it crashed first 
and presented a 0x0000001E BSOD. Today I had no problems working with it but after playing CS:GO
it started crashing and after that it started to crash frequently.(I've played cs countless time before, shouldn't be from overheating). I thought it was overheating, but it even crashed
when it was simply in desktop mode or when I was writing this report. 
It doesn't always show the BSOD, but I have no idea what is going on.
I've tried System Restore and chkdsk.

I have Dell Inspiron 15 3543
Win 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel core i7-5500U 2.4GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 840M

BSOD 0x0000001E(0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)
Will try to get dump files after it finishes startup repair

Edited by rei158, 04 October 2015 - 02:22 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Zip up the last 5 or 10 dumps in C:\Windows\minidumps then upload the resultant ZIP file here so we can look at them.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

It had only one dump.

Attached Files

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Here are more minidumps

EDIT: I've found out that ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll are affected, but these may be effected by other drivers? Any help?

EDIT2: It doesn't always give a BSOD, it just froze when I was listening to music & browsing the net. 

EDIT3: Started sfc /scannow. Nothing found

EDIT4: Started MdSched.exe, did a regular memory check, no problems found :/ . It still freezes time to time.

Attached Files

Edited by rei158, 06 October 2015 - 12:01 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

All 3 dumps are the same, all say WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT and point to ntkrnlmp.exe as the cause, which is not true. That's where the fault occurred but the cause would be upstrream from there, but the dump doesn't indicate what or where.

What OS did the laptop come with? Were you able to find all the drivers for Windows 7 okay?

Give Nvidia GeForce Experience a try, see  if it finds an uplevel video driver? I've had good luck with it several times recently.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

It came with Ubuntu. I found all the neccessary drivers from Dell's site, which was very helpful.

I installed a new GameReady driver, it seemed to install a fresh GPU driver, too.  I will now keep track of it's state and report at the end of the weekend if not earlier(due to a BSOD :D

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Okay, good luck.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Nope. I've had 2 freezes over the 2 days. It just froze but it gave no BSOD on start-up anymore... /).(\

*Make that 4 now.

Edited by rei158, 09 October 2015 - 07:11 AM.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Okay, this is mostly not related to nvidia graphics drivers. Got the same bsod when i had them uninstalled and were trying to install a version from dell site.

It has started to crash when it reaches desktop on start-up. Writing this from safe mode. 
No minidumps were created after the BSOD, don't know what to do. If nothing else helps, I can send it to guarantee repairs,
but would like to resolve the problem with your help.

Freezes have become frequent..

Edited by rei158, 10 October 2015 - 12:09 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Download, install and run Nvidia GeForce Experience, see what that finds for video driver?. See post #5 for the link.

Sounds like it runs okay when you boot to Safe Mode. Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking? Does it run okay there as well? That may point to something running on your computer that is causing the problem since it doesn't fail in Safe Mode. What Anti-virus software do you use? What Firewall?

Download and install CCleaner from the following link: CCleaner - Standard

During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar.

Start CCleaner. Click on Tools (ICON) and Select the following BUTTONS to create two (2) text files:

• Uninstall > Save to text file (install) – bottom right corner of app window
  • Startup > Save to text file (startup)

Locate and open each saved file in the ‘Documents’ FOLDER:

• Copy and paste the contents of each file into your next post (2 files).

Advertisements

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

At the moment, I have version 344.24 but the newest update is 358.50.

I started to use Nod32 Smart Security trial version after the BSOD's started occurring.

I am using Windows Firewall.

I used Safe Mode with networking but not for too long, it seemed to work fine there.

Here are the files

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try disabling these, see what happens:

Yes    HKLM:Run    NvBackend    NVIDIA Corporation    "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exe"
Yes    HKLM:Run    ShadowPlay    Microsoft Corporation    C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\Windows\system32\nvspcap64.dll,ShadowPlayOnSystemStart
Yes    HKLM:Run    USB3MON    Intel Corporation    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe"
Yes    Startup Common    OpenVPN Connect.lnk        C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\core\ovpntray.exe
Yes    Startup Common    SteelSeries Engine 3.lnk    SteelSeries ApS    C:\Program Files\SteelSeries\SteelSeries Engine 3\SteelSeriesEngine3.exe

Steam has been known to cause problems as well but it looks like you use it to play games so uninstalling it is not viable yet. If nothing else helps you could uninstall then test. Reinstall the latest when problem is resolved.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Okay, did them. I'll report when something happens or not,

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Nope, got a freeze soon after start-up.

Will uninstall Steam.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Uninstalling Steam didn't help.. :/   It froze and gave four bsod's in a row on startup.

Uninstalled OldSchool Runescape client, it may be a longshot, but with that the BSOD's started,

Edited by rei158, 11 October 2015 - 04:00 PM.