Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot up or has a delayed boot up after Windows 8 factory

• Please log in to reply

VernC

VernC

• Pip
  • 1 posts

- Gateway DX4870-UR368
- 14 GB Ram
- Windows 10.....then Windows 8
- Core i7 3770k

This nightmare started this past Friday night. I was installing a (legit) music production program from the DVD drive when Windows 10 somehow, weirdly glitched up and wouldn't read the disc. I ejected the disc but Windows Explorer indicated that that the disc was still inserted. I tried to shut down but the PC wouldn't do so; it just stayed on a black screen. So I had to turn it off via power button. Up powering, I was getting damage file_system errors and I needed to restore my PC back to factory defaults, which meant Windows 8. I had to do this because all of the recovery options did not work. So the restore went through and everything appeared to be working fine....until the very next morning.

At first, when I turned on the PC, the power button would come on, HDDs (plural) spin up, I can hear all of the fans going but nothing was happening. I waited for about 10 minutes and it eventually booted up. So, it was a delayed boot. So I stupidly decided to try and upgrade to Windows 8.1. I left it running while I went to work for a few hours and came to see it was still stuck on "Getting a few things ready 3%" still. So I aborted and turned off via power button. I tried to reboot again but this time it wouldn't reboot at all. I couldn't turn off either by power button so I had to unplug it. Upon trying to turn back on, the power button LED wouldn't even light. So I decided to call it night after a few attempts at rebooting.

Last night, I had some success. I took out that 3v looking battery and reset the CMOS switch. There was, again, a delayed boot but it booted. For some reason, the BIOS menu option had been missing from my splash screen for a while. So I decided to create a Windows 8 repair disc first (in case I needed it), then do an advanced restart to get into the BIOS and re-enable the bios menu option.

After browsing through the BIOS, I saw some options that I was wondering about and decided to Google them. Namely the power management options being enabled in the BIOS. So I decided to do another Advanced Restart to get into the BIOS, but now ever since late last night, I can't get the PC boot again. I just tried another CMOS reset but it still won't boot. While I had it working, I noticed that Disk Management said there were recovery partitions, but none of them had letters assigned and they didn't appear in Windows Explorer.

I tried another PSU, no luck. I'm not sure that it's the motherboard that's the problem (but if it is, I will definitely replace it if I have to). I have had NO problems with the PC in the 3 years I've owned it. It hasn't shown any signs of anything failing. This problem is a total surprise and only started after factory restoring Windows 8. A possible culprit could be the CPU (the i7 3770k) as well.

I'm praying that I can get this fixed. I'm considering taking this to the Geek Squad, but I know they'll charge me out the butt and it's a 50/50 chance with that. (from hearing about other's experiences)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   VernC,

We are always happy to help when we can but we cannot do so when you are already receiving assistance on any other forum, doing so may lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly, decide on which forum you wish to continue and as a courtesy let the other/s know that assistance is no longer required.

Thank you for your understanding.