Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing winxp on external hard drive.

Best Answer Luckyjfl , 08 October 2015 - 06:29 AM

didn't REALLY answer these two: you said you pasted the full amount of windows XP files onto an external HD...what does that mean? <---so, you put the CD in the computer, then, like copy a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Hi Guys,
I do hope you can give me a bit of advice, before I click on this install. I have win 7 installed on my pc on my primary. I have pasted the full amount of windows xp files onto an external HD.

If, I click install in the Win XP on the external HD, will it cause malfunction on my primary drive, especially in relation to the mbr.

Look forward to your advice.

All the best.

Luckyjfl

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

couple questions:

you said you pasted the full amount of windows XP files onto an external HD...what does that mean?

where did you get windows XP from?

what exactly are you trying to end up with as an end results?

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Ok, I did not want to put the win xp instalation files on my primary drive or a partition of the same drive.  I was afraid , if I did that, I might mess around with the MBR and would not be able to boot up at all. So, I decided to transfer the XP files, from my win xp cd, to an external drive and try and install XP on there.  Before I decided to actually click the install, I wanted to make sure, that again, it would not interfere  with my primary boot up.  Does that make sense.  I am a little old in the tooth, so please bare with me.

The reason, I am trying to install xp is, because I want to use some of my older games which will not play on my present specs.  If you think I am making a mistake, just say so, and I will knock this idea on the head. 

Much obliged for your help.

Lucky.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

didn't REALLY answer these two:

you said you pasted the full amount of windows XP files onto an external HD...what does that mean? <---so, you put the CD in the computer, then, like copy and pasted the files from the CD directly to an external hard drive?

where did you get windows XP from? <---still need an answer to this one. where did XP come from? is it OEM or Retail?

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
✓  Best Answer

didn't REALLY answer these two:

you said you pasted the full amount of windows XP files onto an external HD...what does that mean? <---so, you put the CD in the computer, then, like copy and pasted the files from the CD directly to an external hard drive?

where did you get windows XP from? <---still need an answer to this one. where did XP come from? is it OEM or Retail?

Ok, I have decided I shall not be using Geeks to go, no more after many years as a Member.  I thought I had made myself a little clear  on what I was trying to do. But it seems Like your questions were too aggressive  and I did not like the tone of them. As it happens, I do own a copy of win xp which I Bought years ago, although I do not think this was any way related to my question on installing xp on a seperate hd.  I did get an answer from another source without all the drama of where my windows xp came from.  Asked the question, got the answer, no problem.   I am sorry, but I do not like being spoken to like that. The old saying goes a long way " courtesy and care will get you there .  I will say no more.  Cheerio and hope you have better days in future.