Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 modem, 1 router, 2 computers, 50% working

• Please log in to reply

babytazz

babytazz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok so i have a modem hooked up to a router... main computer hooked up to router has internet.... 2nd computer hooked up to router, but has no internet... the LAN icon is showing that it is sending but not recieving. How do i fix this? :tazz:

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
have you used the windows set up home network tool in networks connection?
:tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Of course it's sending, but if it's not receiving, then it could be a couple of things. I'm guessing that it's an IP conflict or cabling issue but it could be some sort of firewall blocking the traffic.

To start, check if the machine that is actually getting online is using a DHCP address or not. The "easiest" way to do this, is to click, start>run; type cmd then at the command prompt type; ipconfig /all. Look for the line that says
"DHCP enabled.................{yes/no}"
Also, look for and post the lines from each machine starting with:
"IP Address" to "Default Gateway".

Find out and post back with the information mentioned above.

Greazy Mcgeezy

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yep i used the win home network setup...

also the DHCP enabled ... YES
ip address 192.168.1.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.252
default gateway 192.168.1.1
dhcp server 192.168.1.1
dns servers 192.168.1.1

iprouting enabled - NO
wins proxy enabled - NO

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Mr. Mcgeezy WHERE ARE YOUUU!!! HELP HELP HELP!!

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, now I see that you have only listed the IP information for one of the machines. I believe that the Windows Network Wizard hasn't helped any. For starters, on BOTH machines, in the Network Connections section of Control Panel, make sure that there isn't a bridge. If there is, delete it (only important if using more than one connection on the computer, and it's still useless). Now we will reconfigure your network to make sure that everything has what it's supposed to have.

The following settings are a common standard in the networking industry and are recommended.

Router
WAN Interface: Obtain IP Address Automatically
LAN Interface:
IP - 192.168.1.1
Sub. Mask - 255.255.255.0

Computer 1
IP - 192.168.1.100
Def Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DNS - 192.168.1.1

Computer 2
IP - 192.168.1.101
Def Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DNS - 192.168.1.1

Set everything up this way, and see what you have for a connection. I will be posting some links to a couple small tutorials in my signature soon that deal with the manual configuration if you need help with that.

Greazy Mcgeezy

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
One thing who is your dsl company? If its verizon DSL it could be that your modem is set to ppoe not brigde mode.
:tazz:

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Greazy and tazz you guys are awesome... yes the stupid computer connected is bridged... i'll delete it and start over... as soon as i get off work i'll see if it works THANKS GUYS!! oh and the DSL service is QWEST.

Edited by babytazz, 16 June 2005 - 03:16 PM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok babytazz, I added a link in my signature to a short, but hopefully helpful tutorial on how to static your own addresses. Since we are going to be giving a static addresses already mentioned in another post, you won't have to worry about finding the scheme of the network. Also, when you start to assign addresses, you should start by giving the router the new address first, you will lose connection, then do the machine you are on, that will give you the connection back, and you will be able to continue using the new address (if it was changed).

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 16 June 2005 - 07:28 PM.

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok i have set up the computers as you had listed, but still internet connection on computer 2 :tazz:

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, do the two computers ping each other? If so, try pinging google.com from the computer that can't access the internet. Also, if you are up to it, download the following:

Ethereal
WinPcap

Then install on the machine that doesn't connect to the internet. Run the program and click the Capture, and Start Capture at the top of the page. Once the capture is running, try to ping the following in order:

1) 192.168.1.101 If that works go to 2
2) 192.168.1.1 If that works go to 3
3) 192.168.1.100 If that works go to 4
4) ping external IP interface on router If that works go to 5
5) ping google.com If that works, try internet, if not, go to 6
6) ping 216.239.39.99 If that works, PC2 is having a DNS issue. If not, we will continue the search for a solution.

Greazy Mcgeezy

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
k, i've installed both programs and had the capture running.... i tried to ping those addresses, but still no go... i noticed on occasion i'll "recieve small bits of info.... but it seems constant that i'm sending...

Edited by babytazz, 22 June 2005 - 11:54 AM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I apologize, I got caught up so much in the instruction for the captures, I forgot to ask you to save the files in the libcap format and email them to me at [email protected] and I will take a look to see if I can spot what is stopping it.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 23 June 2005 - 02:09 AM.

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ya apparently i'm totally in the dark with computers... which program is the capture program?

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
k new discovery... i hooked up computer 2 straight to the modem... no go... i also tried with 3 different network cards... nothing.... so maybe DNS problem? computer 2 will send, but will not recieve