Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dropped Computer - OUCH (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

My daughter dropped her Dell laptop.  6 months later it stops working, no power, nothing.  Tried a hard reset, all the recommended tests, then sent for repair through Costco (guess the extended warranty does not apply).  The computer is $550 and they want to charge $799 for repair.   :rofl:   

Anyway, I believe it is the mainboard which I can have swapped out locally by my IT tech, but cannot find a new board.  Everything I find is refurbished, yet the computer is only 2 model years old.  Can the refurbished boards be trusted?

If a new board is $400, then I guess it is a new computer and a good spanking.  haha

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

domer

Advertisements

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

BTW - the computer is a DELL 3K15 I5-4210U

Mainboard is 6YPRH

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello domer07,

In defence of your daughter I would say that the computer would have expired there and then if dropping it has caused MB or any other hardware failure.

I believe it is the mainboard

Can I ask what actually happens if you try and power up the notebook and why you suspect the MB.

Can the refurbished boards be trusted?

Depends on from where they are purchased and the warranty that covers them and fwiw replacing a notebook MB is most often not a viable option due to the high cost of the boards themselves and then the fitting costs you need to pay the tech or tech store.

Tip

Please do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked 

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Thanks for the response!

I agree on the effect dropping should have had on the computer.  I doubt the damage lingered for six months.  However, Costco is standing behind that wall to deny the warranty claim at this point.

Nothing happens when trying to power up the computer.  No lights, no keyboard background lights, no power light at the power button.  Tried with just battery, removed battery and tried with just power adapter, tried with both - no lights.  Took the battery out, disconnected the power adapter and pressed power button for one minute, computer did not reset.

Regarding evaluation for needing a MB, the computer is 13 months old, Dell warranty ran out at 12 months.  Contacted Costco who had us send it to Encompass.  Their evaluation is MB replacement.

Thx for the tip on the Edit command.

domer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome domer07  :thumbsup:

It would have helped you no end if Encompass had actually informed you what exactly was wrong with the board  :(

The substantial testing that you have done yourself would unfortunately suggest that the MB or a part of it is bad, can I ask if the DC jack port is ok as in not loose or damaged in such a way that it would stop the power getting to the MB.

A rather obvious question but I must ask if the AC adaptor has been checked and proven to be working correctly, if it has an LED on it, is is lit up when connected to the power outlet.

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Attached are a couple of photos of the damage.  I don't see the DC port anywhere close to the corner nor is there any physical damage seen on the visible corner of the mainboard.   

There were no lights on the AC adapter to validate it being good or bad and since she mailed in in from college I did not have another Dell adapter to send her to check it out.  It may have been tested at the schools IT department but I am not certain.  That was my first suggestion to her.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09811.JPG
  • DSC09815 (1).JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Looking at the pictures the one thing that may have caused MB failure is a short circuit due to the board not being grounded by the chassis properly, again though the problem would normally have been instant and not suddenly happened.

Can we have a picture of the DC jack port please.

Regarding the AC adaptor itself, have you seen the article here regarding basic testing.

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I am waiting to get the computer back from Encompass.  Will forward a picture in two days.

Posted my displeasure working with Costco's Concierge Services on the Costco Facebook page and Costco responded right away asking for details.  I supplied as much as I could.  They responded saying my case has been elevated in the Costco and Concierge Services hierarchy.  We'll see where it goes.

I did not see the basic AC adapter trouble-shooting guide.  My daughter did say the LED came on on the adapter when she initially was trouble-shooting the no-power issue.

Thanks for the support!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the update domer07  :thumbsup:

I hope some good come of your communication with Costco and we will meanwhile wait on your picture update.

You are welcome btw  :)

fred n

fred n

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Curious how this turned out , did Costco come through?  

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Sorry for the long delay - it was a partially lost lifetime working with Costco.  They finally consented to a 50% refund.  

The DC jack port was on the opposite side of the computer from the damaged corner.  It did not appear loose or damaged in any way.

Regardless, I am now setting up a new Windows 10 computer.  Just discovered I don't have the product key for her MS Office I purchased through HUP program.  My company no longer participates in it so I can't just purchase another key for $10.  looking for other options.

Thanks for the help!

domer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I am now setting up a new Windows 10 computer.  Just discovered I don't have the product key for her MS Office I purchased through HUP program.  My company no longer participates in it so I can't just purchase another key for $10.  looking for other options.

Not sure what you are asking here so will give a couple of possible answers;

Office licenses purchased through the HUP are not perpetual, they may only be used as long as your organization continues to license Office with Software Assurance, basically you were renting Office and if you stop paying for SA on Office your rights to use the Home Use copy expire.

If you are looking for an alternative to MS Office, Apache Open Office

Edit to add;

MS Office question also answered by SleepyDude here

Edited by phillpower2, 01 November 2015 - 12:25 PM.
As per edit above.