Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possible Graphics Card Crashing issues

• Please log in to reply

LANCE1313

LANCE1313

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hello

I have a Asus Notebook G60 series laptop with an intel i7 processor and 6gb of RAM with a Geforce GTS 360M 1gb graphics card.  I preface this whole discussion knowing that this laptop is getting old and it probably doesn't owe me anything.

This is actually the 3rd exact laptop i've had. The two previous laptops were replaced by Asus for free the first during the warranty period and the second after it because they both suffered the exact same issue. They had previously been sent back to asus for repairs and returned to me "fixed" although this was never true and they ended up replacing them after multiple attempts. Best guesses at the time was there was a graphics card issue but they weren't able to pin point it.

After getting each of these new laptops from them they have worked without issue for about a year or so.  Over time they start to have random crashes generally when playing games and the frequency of this increases.  With my current model I'm at the point where if I boot up a game it'll crash with 5 minutes or so. I am able to surf the internet and do other stuff in applications without issue. I can also leave the laptop running for multiple days without crashing. When it does crash the power abruptly goes off, no BSOD or other warning. 

Although the laptop is getting old it's quite frustrating that I can't use my only gaming system for what it was intended. I also don't want to replace it since it works just fine for other things and just don't want to spend that money.

Any help and suggestions people could give would be great.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,328 posts
  • MVP

Get Speedfan:and let's see if it is getting hot.

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin)

It will tell you your temps in real time. (If you click on Configure then on Core you can check Show in Tray then OK  and even when minimized it will show the Core temp in the system tray (near the clock),  If you don't see it then Windows is hiding it.  Click on the up arrow to the left of the icons near the clock and  Customize.  Find Speedfan and change it to Show Icons and Notifications.  ) Leave it up and run something like a video or a scan or maybe sfc /scannow again and see if the temps climb over 60 while playing a game.

LANCE1313

LANCE1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Temperature was identified as an issue in the past. Sorry i should have mentioned that. With previous models it was suggested that i buy an external cooling pad. I bought the biggest one i could find that sounded like a tornado when it ran but that wasn't enough and it kept crashing.

Ran some tests for you now with Speedfan.

Test                   Highest Core      GPU

sfc / scannow           77                  66

Movie                       79                  83

Game                       76                  109

No crashing with either the scan or the movie. Watched about an hour of a movie and those temps seem to be the peak.  Only played about 30 seconds of heroes of the storm before it crashed. 109 was the highest it got.  From memory that's higher than it got with the previous models but I was measuring with speccy then and this seems to be more responsive.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,328 posts
  • MVP

It's the heat for sure.

You need to take it apart and clean the heatsink which is probably clogged with lint.

Luckily it's fairly easy to get to:

If you have to remove the copper heatpipe to get it clean then you will need to clean the thermal surfaces and replace the thermal paste. (Probably needs doing anyway)   I prefer the kit from Arctic Silver 5 which you can get from Amazon:  

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArctiClean 60 ML Combo Kit

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B00LOXCNPC/

$12 or so.

There are instructions on the Arctic Silver website.  They say to use a lintfree cloth or a coffee filter.  An old credit card makes a good scratch free scraper.

Hopefully the fan is running but if not you will need to replace it too.

LANCE1313

LANCE1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

OK. Sorry for the long delay but this one took me a while to get up the courage and make sure I was doing it right. I did clean out the fan/heat sink.  I reapplied the thermal paste with arctic silver 5. There wasn't much lint in the fan but I got out everything. 

The paste seems to have made a big difference. I just played a full game of HotS which is the first I've ever made it through without a crash.  I checked speedfan throughout the game and the temps still seem high but not like before.   GPU mid 80's Core mid 60's.

Happy to take any more advice you have.

atifn79

atifn79

• Pip
  • 6 posts
If u r system (processor,gpu,smps)fan has any damage the system overheat quickly so protect from more damage the system shutdown without any error message like bluescreen message.
so check all fans are working correctly and clean the dust from cpu.