Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emachines ET1331TG-o7W - no video output question (Resolved)

Best Answer geno368 , 24 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

You are a very good technician and I really appreciate your help Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I am trying to help my neighbor find a video problem.  He states that the other day, he was surfing and all of a sudden the monitor started flashing several colors and finally went blank (orange button).  I hooked it up to my monitor and it just said "no video"  I know my monitor is good so I reset the capacitors by unplugging power and holding in the power button for 1 minute. Same results. There are no bulging capacitors on the m/b.  He is using the onboard video.  What should I try next?  Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi geno368,

Sorry to hear of the neighbours problems with his video output.

Here's what I would try:

1 Try a new video cable twixt his machine and your VDU (monitor) and test

2 "Wiggle" the connectors a little at both ends whilst the known working VDU is connected to the troublesome machine

3 If there is a video card installed as well as the onboard check the BIOS to make sure the correct one is enabled

4 If there is no separate Vieo card installed, then before trying one see next steps (5) and (6)

5 Boot into safe mode with VGA, or alternatively any form of safe mode..any joy?

6 Download a live distro of linux (linux Puppy is good) burn the .iso as an image to a CD ( it must be burnt as an image, a copy will not work) and set the BIOS to boot from the CD. With the Linux boot disc in the CD tray restart the computer and see if it works and the VDU is receiving an output.

7 If you can see the Linux screens oK then its pointing away from hardware to a Windows issue,so we will know what further steps are required.

Post back with your findings, and one of us will respond with the next steps

Regards

paws

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Thank you for the reply.There is no video card installed.  How would I be able to go into bios if I can't see anything on the monitor?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi geno368

see my step 3:

3 If there is a video card installed as well as the onboard check the BIOS to make sure the correct one is enabled

You only need to do this if there is a separate video card installed but you have now confirmed that this is not the case, so you don't need to do anything with the BIOS

Did you manage to boot your machine from Linux Puppy?

If you cant see anything at all then you could try fitting a replacement video card and see if this does the trick for you.

Regards

paws

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I installed a pci express video card and powered up the system..got video and went into bios to change settings. While changing the date, the system froze and now it won't post.  fans come on but no display or post beep. Any suggestions?  Thanks again...

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

It looks like the card or the driver may be incompatible with your system...

Not quite sure why you would be changing the date in the BIOS...?

Regards

paws

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I had removed the cmos battery to see if bios defaults would help...When I was finally able to get into bios the system date showed 2009.

Since my last post, I removed that card (ASUS) and installed a nvidia gforce..It booted ok but after about 5 minutes in the bios it locked and gave me a steady long beep sound so I powered it off.

Now it will not post at all.  I don't understand????

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hope you don`t mind the interjection folks  :)

Can you post the brand and model name or number of both add on video cards that you have tried and the same for the PSU please.

A continuous beep could be a sign of a bad power supply and unless the original PSU has been swapped out for a better one chances are that it will be a poor quality stock claimed 300W rated unit, bad enough at the best of times but asking one to support an add on video can spell trouble.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Thanks for the replies...Phil, the p/s is an OE Delta Electronics 300w....The cards are: ASUS C1VG85M, 6200TC GeFORCE 128mb ddr

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update geno368  :thumbsup:

The PSU when out of the box new would be ok for a 6200TC as it requires a 300W minimum power output and 18 amps on the +12V rail which the PSU was capable of when new, depending on how old the PSU it may no longer be producing those specs as they weaken with age and use, the following from your reply #7 may suggest a weak/faulty PSU;

It booted ok but after about 5 minutes in the bios it locked and gave me a steady long beep sound so I powered it off.

The computer is under the least amount of load when in the BIOS and what you describe suggests the computer is failing the POST which can happen when there is a bad power supply to one or more items of hardware.

What I would suggest you try from here and why;

Disconnect all power to the computer then ground yourself on a bare metal part of the chassis or PSU to get rid of any possible static in your body ect.

Remove any add on video card to lessen the load on the PSU.

Remove the memory stick/s.

Reconnect the screen to the MBs video port and the main power cord to the computer then power up, this to see if the behaviour changes in any way**

Also from your reply #7

** Now it will not post at all.  I don't understand????

You mention that it will not POST but not if you are no longer getting error beep/s, if you are not presently getting any error beeps but you do when the Ram is removed it would suggest that the problem is after the Ram with the video chip being most likely and after that the CPU, if you are not getting any error beep/s now and you still get none with the Ram removed it suggests that the problem is before the Ram with the PSU normally the culprit followed by the MB itself.

NB: Worth mentioning is that the 6200TC relies on support from the onboard memory which if flaky could also result in a lack of video signal so the card may be ok and depending on the OS installed there may not be any drivers available for such an old card other than for Windows 2000 and/or XP.

Advertisements

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Thanks for the good info, Phil...I will follow your suggestions.  I have a new cx430 p/s I can install as well..I will advise later

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome geno368  :)

Good PSU is the Corsair CX430   :thumbsup:   I will be around until around 10.30/11.00pm UK time hopefully that will give you time for the testing.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I removed the memory and the video card.  I kept the hd and dvd installed...powered it up and the fans turned...no POST beep only a long continuous one...I shup down power, installed the new P/Supply with same results...long continuous one

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Continuous beep commonly = bad PSU or MB, you have swapped in an alternative PSU so that leaves a MB issue, this assumes that the CX 430 PSU is a known good one.

Check the MB for blown caps, see here

Let us know how many sticks of Ram you have.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

negative on the caps and the cx430 is brand new...I have 2 sticks of 2gb-pc2-6400u Kingston