Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emachines ET1331TG-o7W - no video output question (Resolved)

Best Answer geno368 , 24 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

You are a very good technician and I really appreciate your help Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

How can I tell if it is running in dual channel mode?

I will redo your testing procedures again and report back...thanks

BTW...I usually go by the color of the slots...slot 1 & 2 are purple and 3 & 4 are orange

Edited by geno368, 21 October 2015 - 12:07 PM.

Advertisements

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

stick # 1 will boot the system in slot 1 & 3 only

stick # 2 will boot the system in slot 1 & 3 only as well

It will not boot with both sticks installed in slots 3 & 4

Edited by geno368, 21 October 2015 - 12:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

With the Ram in slots 1 and 3;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about the computer hardware.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...lsUqKjEFPmhflJW

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

As you can see in Speccy the Ram is only working in single channel mode;

RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (6-6-6-18)

Motherboard
eMachines MCP61PM-GM (CPU 1): 
30 °C

I have previously asked you to confirm the following but as yet you have not done so;

So you now have Ram in memory slots 1 and 3, an add on video card providing video, the CX430 powering the system and all is well!

After looking at the Speccy report it would appear that you have Ram in slots 1 and 3 and are using the MBs integrated video port, what the report cannot tell us is what power supply is in use, it is important that we know this as there are high voltages shown to be going to the MB and primarily the memory and PCI-E add on card slots, compare the Speccy readings to the tolerance table that I have attached below;

Voltage
CPU CORE: 
1.104 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 
2.496 V
+3.3V: 
3.552 V
+5V: 
5.564 V
+12V: 
11.840 V
-5V: 
(4.672) V
-12V: 
(11.776) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 
4.758 V
CMOS BATTERY: 
3.216 V

NTROLLER: 
2.496 V
+3.3V: 
3.552 V
+5V: 
5.564 V
+12V: 
11.840 V
-5V76) V
+5V HI

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Sorry, I thought I had confirmed....Memory in slots 1 & 3, CX430 ps running, add on video card using...all seems fine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Before doing anything else can I ask you to make sure that the USB ports are enabled on boot in the BIOS, this because when the CMOS battery was previously removed they would have been disabled by default, this was the reason why the USB keyboard was not working (and the continuous error beep) see guide here to help avoid a repeat of the problem when the wired keyboard is removed.

It was the CX 430 PSU being fitted that we needed confirming and for the reason/s explained above in my reply #35.

The MB voltages need checking as looking at those Speccy figures it is possible that there is a problem with the voltage regulator circuit and possibly the PWM (power management) controller;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

here goes...checked bios and it is correct....

I cannot figure out how to copy/paste the jpg's to this post...I am going to attach

speedfan.jpg

Edited by geno368, 23 October 2015 - 10:17 AM.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

here is the other

cpuid.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Same bad voltage readings are present;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a  problem with the power that the MB and other components are receiving.

Advertisements

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

cpu temp = 40 c, 104 f

sys temp = 29 c, 86 f

cpu core = 1.104 v

+3.3 v = 3.328

+5v = 4.757

+12 = 11.840

5vsb = 4.972

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not perfect but within tolerance.

When you hand the computer back suggest to the neighbour that they check HWMonitor once in a while to keep tabs on the temps and voltages.

Anything else that we can help you with where this particular computer is concerned.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

My concern is if the m/b is going bad with the memory slots not working etc...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Fully understand your concern but other than replacing the MB now there is nothing that you can do as repairing the MB/DIMM slot 2 is not a financially viable option I`m afraid, the MB could last for a good while as it is but then again it may not, you can only advise the neighbour as to what has been done and what has been found and let them make a decision, they at least have a working computer to use while they make their mind up.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
✓  Best Answer

You are a very good technician and I really appreciate your help