Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Help

• Please log in to reply

Dorian

Dorian

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have to install an ATI RADEON 9000 graphics card for my RPG game: Guild Wars. My computer is a Dell. It is maybe around 5 months old. I dont want to waste money until i know i can use it on my computer. How can i know/check if this graphics card is right for my computer?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
list the model number of the dell...this makes me uncomfortable....any 5 month old computer should have at least an ati9000 card....

cept maybe the 2400....hope you don't have one....

Dorian

Dorian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Im not sure but i have a Dell Dimension 2400 Series Model MTC2. I think the model number is EDIT

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that was the product id and not something you should post (not as scary as a cd-key, but not really important for people to know)

well, dell dimension 2400---the least expandable pc in the dell line.

There is no AGP slot in this machine so your only choice is a PCI videocard... the 9000 is no longer available, but you can still find the radeon 9200se and 9250 cards, as well as the nforce geforce 5200 and even a nforce geforce 5700

how much did you want to spend?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, how much memory did you get in that--default was 256mb, which is really too little.

Dorian

Dorian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ya i didn't get much memory but i took out the 256 and put in 1 gig. and im willing to spend maybe around 200 dollars... however the cheaper the better :tazz: