Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 10 crtitical_structure_corruption

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

trosco

trosco

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Hello,

I have a new system, never tested with other versions of windows, freshly isntalled 10, and I keep getting critical_structure_corruption after which the computer restarts. I haven't noticed any pattern to it, just randomly happens. I've read it can be related to drivers, I tried reinstalling them but it still happens. I know there are cleaner ways of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, but I was skeptical of it so I decided to ask for more experienced help here. So if somebody is willing to help I would be very thankfull, as I started university and I need my software without fearing of loosing data due to a crash.

Thank you! 

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Is this new system some manufacturer's "off the shelf" machine or a custom-built one?

If it is the former I would go to the manufacturer's website and find support for the box you're working with.  Most now have collections of updated drivers for Windows 10 when updated drivers are necessary.  I just went through this process on a recently acquired HP laptop that came with Windows 8.1 that I updated to Windows 10 before I began using it.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

it's a custom-built pc. i am thinking of uninstalling all drivers using Driversweeper and installing just crucial ones, video and motherboard, should I go ahead or try something else? 

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

I would wait until others weigh in.  This can almost certainly be traced to something specific, but Windows 10 is so new that there are relatively few people who can tell you how to do that.

Have you considered loading an earlier version of the OS instead, even as a test?   You have far too many unknowns going on here to take the approach you appear to wish to take.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

try it with win7 you mean?

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Try it with Win7 or Win8.1.   This error could be due to hardware issues and, if so, is likely to recur (perhaps not using the exact same error message, but the behavior will recur).

You could even try one of the flavors of Linux just to see if the same basic behavior pattern occurs.

You definitely need to do considerably more work to try to root out what the genesis of this behavior is.  Since it sounds like this system has not been put to any real functional use yet it's a reasonable approach to try another OS just to try to ferret out whether you may have a hardware issue of some sort.