Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After clone, bootmgr is missing

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

So, I was running low on space on the primary boot drive on my desktop.  So, I decided to get a larger drive and clone the existing boot drive to it in order to avoid the hassle of OS reinstall and reinstalling all the programs.  I used EaseUS to do the clone, and it went just fine.  I went into the disk manager and set the two new partitions as active, then shut the computer down and disconnected the old drive and connected the new drive to the same port as the old one, just to be safe as some MB ask for that.

This is where the problems began.  On reboot, the system said that the BootMGR was missing.  Not really all that uncommon, usually fixable by running startup repair from a repair disk, which is what I did.  The odd thing was that when i ran the repair disk, no OS was listed to be repaired.  I thought little of this as I figured it could be just not detected until i ran startup repair, which i did.  However, the same error greeted me on restart "BootMGR is missing"

So, I shut the computer down, disconnected the new drive, reconnected the old drive, and restarted the computer, figuring something must have gone wrong with the clone that had not been indicated to me by EaseUS.  And again, same error.  Startup repair, same error.  Running chkdsk now to see if it comes up with anything, but I doubt it will as the system was running fine on this drive earlier.  I do not have access at the moment to an install disk for Win7 or I would try the repair install function on it, and I may still, but I would rather not wait until Monday when I will be able to get a disc.

What i have tried

Startup repair several times

using diskpart to deactivate all volumes, then reactivate just the main OS volume and the system reserved volume

There was some odd drive letter assignment going on, so I used diskpart to return that to the way that it was

Kinda at wits end here.  An thoughts would most certainly be appreciated.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

So, I was running low on space on the primary boot drive on my desktop.  So, I decided to get a larger drive and clone the existing boot drive to it in order to avoid the hassle of OS reinstall and reinstalling all the programs.  I used EaseUS to do the clone, and it went just fine.  I went into the disk manager and set the two new partitions as active, then shut the computer down and disconnected the old drive and connected the new drive to the same port as the old one, just to be safe as some MB ask for that.

Which Easeus program did you use?

Can you explain what are those two new partitions and what you did?

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

OK, let me start by saying thanks for the reply.  It was EasUS Todo Backup using the Clone Drive tool in it.  The clone created the two partitions on the new drive (System Reserved and the Primary Boot Drive).

Now, on to an update on the problem.  As I said in the post, I ran chkdsk on the drive, not expecting anything to be wrong.  Well, apparently there was something wrong with the partition table and chkdsk found and fixed the problem as I am now able to boot the computer with the old drive in place.  I am going to do another clone to the new drive and try this again, but it is good to know what fixed the problem this time so that, if I experience it next time, I know what steps are most likely to fix it.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

I always prefer to do this kind of operations from outside Windows by using a WinPE bootable disk that the free version of EasUS Todo Backup seems to have available.

Booting from the WinPE boot disk/flash avoid potential problems with Windows seen the old and new disk at the same time.

Whatever the path you choose don't mess with the partitions the clone should set them with the correct configuration