Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time builder in trouble

• Please log in to reply

SmurfanCoke

SmurfanCoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there, I've just put together a new pc incorporating

Amd Athlon 64 3200+
Abit AV8 3rd eye mobo
Corsair ValueSelect 1gb (2x512mb) ram
Hiper 425w psu
ATI radeon 9600 agp
Seagate 200gb SATA hd

Problems arose when I tried to turn it on ( funny that ).

When I press the power button, the fans attempt to turn for about 1/8 of a second,
and then all stop.
The uguru clock on the mobo reads 83 the 9e, 9f.
the 9e and 9f are forced power down codes, i don't understand the 83 code
It also beeps one long and one short

I have tried removing all cards, re-seating graphics card, re-pasting cpu+heatsink,
shifting sticks of ram, all to no avail.

I did find that with the 4 pin power plug removed from the mobo, the fans actually start but only for about 3-4 seconds then it powers down.
The uguru clock then reads 87 then 9e, 9f
Again I don't know what code 87 means.
It also beeps one long and three short.

I was worried that it might be the ram, I tried a different graphics card but I don't have spare ram, but I removed both sticks of ram and the errors were'nt any different.

I believe it could be very basic, but as I am new to thism I have no idea, any help would be greatly appreciated...

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
here is a good troubleshooter for new builds.
the beep codes will signify a specific error. there should be something in the manual or the mobo's website about what that particular beep code, and the error code you are seeing displayed.

ice1985

ice1985

• Pip
  • 4 posts
did you put spacers in between you mobo and case cos it could be shorting out i made that mistake n blew my mobo