Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virus please help [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

it won't run. I clicked save as when option box came up, saved it in the folder on desktop all the others are in, double clicked, tells me publisher can not be verified, chose option run, box disappears then nothing happens 

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that was a known antivirus programme, I believe we are looking at a rootkit here but I cannot see it yet

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here NSIS_extraction.png
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
  • Notes:
    1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
    2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3. If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

program downloaded and ran, I saved txt to desktop but only got the name combo typed

Attached Files

Edited by [email protected], 14 October 2015 - 03:57 AM.

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi again, I after program rebooted I tried to do this in normal mode. I get about 4 seconds before 'internet has stopped working' message. I get that 3 times and then it won't refresh, I have to go back through to the post from the start. I have to go back into safe mode to do this, my last post took some getting done to, seems to know what I'm up too. I know that stupid, but it seems that way. this whole reply I haven't seen any errors, but the last took 5 goes to get enough time to get the txt attached.

I also got a message when shutting down to restart to go back into safe mode, a program was stopping the shutdown, looked like a webcam icon, I didn't get all the letters, 94F11419-869E-47aa-9563-F  something something

sorry to be a pain, thanks again for helping

Greg

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK unless I can locate the problem which is not showing on any of my logs we will have two options open to us :

First conduct a repair install of Windows 7 if you have the CD
Second take up MS offer of an upgrade to Windows 10 and install that

Either options will resolve all problems currently being experienced

Whilst you are thinking about that could I have a fresh FRST scan please

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Done. this is an older laptop I'm just using for when I'm away at work. I'm not sure of where the windows 7 disc is so I guess we'll take the latter an go with the windows 10 version. we are limited to 2G of data through the camp WiFi, I'm guessing that won't be enough to do the download? is it just as simple as downloading something like MSE, all auto? also, can it be done in safe mode, I don't seem to get as many errors in safe mode. 

Big THANKS for all the time you spent on this too, i would have brought the hammer out ages ago  

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   58.89KB   512 downloads

Edited by [email protected], 14 October 2015 - 11:38 AM.

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I'm guessing you knew but I only hit the more details option before after the 'internet is not working' message and its telling me its a protection thing as a program is trying the do something incorrectly and maybe be malicious software, or something to that effect. not sure if that helps but I thought I'd throw it in. I was going to re-edit the last reply but it kept throwing up the 'stopped working' thing to many times so I gave up. 

Thanks again

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

You may already have windows 10 downloaded as GWX is present :

Display hidden files and folders.
Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Then look on your C drive in windows explorer is there a $windows~bt folder ?

Looking at all this I am now beginning to feel that windows is badly corrupted

Is that 2GB of data a day or a week ?

Have a look at this page https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

hey mate, 2G of data is for the month, LOL. our swing is only 2 weeks though so i'll be home next Wednesday.

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   61.54KB   0 downloads

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

2G is for the month, LOL. we do a 2/1 roster so i'll be home next Wednesday.

Attached is a scan done in normal mode. I wouldn't think there would be a difference but I thought I'd try it anyway. i'll take a look in the hidden folders.

took a look through c drive, couldn't find any folder by that name.

Thanks again

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   61.54KB   479 downloads

Edited by [email protected], 14 October 2015 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Do you experience the same problems with firefox and chrome

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i don't have Firefox or run chrome. just standard explorer n only use google as home page n main search engine.

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I tried defender again, does the error code 0x80004004 mean anything?

Thanks again for all your help, I couldn't imagine doing more than hitting the refresh button until it poked out the other side

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm I am seeing both Chrome and firefox in your logs

If you cannot find firefox on your computer then download and install from here https://www.mozilla....GB/firefox/new/

The error is an update problem so here is a second fixit to try https://support.micr...en-gb/kb/971058

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

G'day Mate, i'm currently using Firefox in normal mode and haven't seen any error meassage boxes?? :D

I did the defender update issue thing but it came back with 'not fixed' for the issues of not updating. it fixed some other stuff but it still won't run as it can't update??

anyway this is sweet, thanks heaps. is it only a explorer problem?? maybe??