Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will my 500W PSU be enough for Powercolor R7 250x?

R7 250x AMD Fraphics 500W THermal Master

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

zarxy, Sorry but no it will not as when independently tested the said PSU only produced 240W, while that is terrible it is not uncommon for inferior brands to put out significantly less... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

zarxy

zarxy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Will my PSU be enough to run fully the Powercolor R7 250x 2gb GDDR5?

PC specs:
MB: FM2A55M-VG3
APU: A8-6600K
HDD; 500GB Seagate 7200RPM
RAM: 2x4GB 1600Mhz
PSU: 500W Thermal Master 65% Efficiency 20amps on +12v rail

The PSU came with the case which is Cooler Master and has no 6 pin connector, but I do plan to get a 2x molex 6 pin cable. in Game Debate it says that it takes max power of 80 Watts.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   zarxy,

Sorry but no it will not as when independently tested the said PSU only produced 240W, while that is terrible it is not uncommon for inferior brands to put out significantly less than what is claimed by the manufacturer, you can confirm the results for yourself by checking the PSU Review Database link in my signature below.

Be sure that any replacement PSU is a minimum of bronze rated else you will be purchasing guaranteed junk, the Corsair CX 500 is an example of what you should be looking for.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

zarxy

zarxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for replying, so my PSU is horrible, what if I went with Zalman PSU 500W ZM500-LE Efficiency 81%, cuz I cannot afford for more than this and it has decent price. In PSU Review Database it says that it has Max. Load +12V 444 W, would that be enough to supply my system with power?

Edited by zarxy, 11 October 2015 - 01:31 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
what if I went with Zalman PSU 500W ZM500-LE Efficiency 81%, 

Not sure where you read that the PSU has an 81% efficiency rating as it is not certified, more junk I`m afraid, bronze rated PSU as a minimum or be prepared for it to pop and possibly take out all of your other hardware along with it, take a look at the Corsair video here which shows poor quality brand PSUs being tested and you will understand why I stress the importance of only using good quality brand PSUs.

You are welcome btw  :)

zarxy

zarxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Haha the video was interesting and funny, anyway I understand how important it is, but I cannot go over the 50 Euro prices with the money I have, so how about the RAIDMAX RX-535APRX-535AP, in PSU Review Database it says 80 plus bronze for this model and max 432w, would this be worth buying since it has  80 plus bronze? It also comes with

Circuit Protection: Over Voltage 
Short Curcuit Protection 
Over Power

Edit: Th size of this PSU won't fit my case though, as my current PSU is 140x150x86 while the Raidmax is 150x165x86. Will have to look for another.

Edit2: In this case I'll go with the Zalman PSU 500W ZM500-LE, it also comes with Protections: Heavy-duty protection circuitry of OVP, UVP, OPP and SCP.

Edited by zarxy, 11 October 2015 - 03:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

The final decision is yours obviously but see if you are able to obtain the PSU here within budget.

zarxy

zarxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

That power supply you suggested is not found in my country, but there is EVGA 430W Active PFC 80 plus certified, but it shows that it's max 408 W, not sure if it will be best choice, although it says in evga website that it's 430w continuous power.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Read the review by master PSU tester JonnyGuru here

zarxy

zarxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Looking at the review, I think I'll go with Zalman, as the Evga 430w sounds more like it won't fully power the r7 250x, thanks for trying to help, much appriciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

You are most welcome zarxy  :)

Enjoy the new card and any further questions along the way please don't hesitate to ask  :thumbsup: