Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 update just keeps checking for days

• Please log in to reply

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

HI I don't seem to be able to run windows update it just keeps checking and checking and checking.

The OS is windows 7 and I have reinstalled it to see if that would fix it to no avail, it's been like this since reverting back to 7 after trying widows 10

Any one got any ideas what's happened?

Thank you for any help provided

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Lets see....

Install this driver, reboot and test.

http://support.hp.co...ument/c02219204

May also be that you have not installed service pack one??

http://filehippo.com...service_pack_1/

Edited by rockmilk, 12 October 2015 - 11:43 AM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hi thanks for the help

The first file is for a HP computer and I don't suffer from the errors it lists and the computer isn't hp, should I still run this anyway?

I will try the sp1 update while I wait still odd though that it wont update from a clean install.

Thanks RockMilk I'll get back to you once I've given this a tickle

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello RockMilk

None of these worked the file hippo one just showed cmd prompt for a blink of an eye, hope it's an OK file just looked at comments about it they all seem to distrust it. I've scanned it and no ill can I find.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

What version of windows are you running? 64bit or 32bit? Get the service pack from here.

http://windows.micro...ut-32-or-64-bit

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5842

http://www.techspot....pack-64bit.html

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello

It says that service pack 1 is all ready installed and still wont find any updates it just keeps checking and checking.

Edited by HolyCowZ, 14 October 2015 - 02:56 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Lets get a little info on your machine please....

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc Unzip it to your desktop and then double click autoruns.exe
After the scan is finished then click on File>>>>>>>>>>>Save
The default name will be autoruns.arn make sure to save it as Autoruns.txt under the file type option.
in other words make sure it is a .txt file instead of .arn Attach the text in your next reply.

• Please go here and download Speccy.
  • Install and run the program.
  • Upon Completion:
  • Hit File
  • Publish Snap Shot
  • Post the link that is created.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

It's all of a sudden started to download and install updates. Should I still post what you requested?

I wonder what the windows 10 upgrade did to make it not install or find updates.

Thank you rockmilk

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

No if all is well then all is well. I suggest a reading of this article.

http://www.forbes.co...ahootix&ref=yfp

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Sorry I'm back

I spoke to soon It did the updates 168 or so then said on reboot

"Failure configuring windows updates reverting changes"

weird I've never had this before ever should I run mini tool box... Could it be malware even though it's a clean install

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

I doubt it is malware, maybe you should try installing a few updates at a time, if you still have issues after that then please post the logs I requested.

fred n

fred n

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Actually this is very common now and i highly doubt it's a computer issue , anybody completely re installing 7 at this time is going to wait a long time for the updates to show .  Many forums have said some people have waited over 20 hours for the updates to finally show themselves , others have waited 8 to 13 hours .

When i re installed last week i waited close to 16 hours .  The issue is Microsoft's servers are extremely busy with Win 10 upgrading and Win 7 stuff is of lower priority.

Thats what most say about it at least.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

@Rockmilk they're do seem to be a lot of people with similar problems, I can't even get it to list updates. ( I may have to kidnap bill gates of microsoft, that's flagged GCHQ and the National intelligence agency now lol)

I don't think it's Microsoft's severs they are fine. It seems it mat be an update they have pumped out well I'm narrowing it down and it's pointing that way now as if you disconnect from the internet it still keeps checking and checking and checking well normally it will say "Installation error 0x910400b" very quick or something like that, It's not now which would indicate a problem.  

I might try contacting Microsoft, I will report back with a solution if I get one. I think I will end the post Rockmilk and thank you very much for your help it is really appreciated.