Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swapping/cloning hard drive question

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Hum, on the last two images it seems the HDD isn't detected anymore!

Can you use F8 again to access the Command Line? If you can this time run a disk check on the D: drive.

chkdsk /R d:

Advertisements

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I've been running the chkdsk /R d: for about an hour and a half and it seems to be stuck. Hopefully it will start moving again.

Attached Thumbnails

• stuck.jpg

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Should I restart it if it stays stuck here for any length of time?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Should I restart it if it stays stuck here for any length of time?

Depending on the HDD size and the errors detected the scan can take a long time.

The HDD led is blinking?

fred n

fred n

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I am new here and know very little compared to most but i have been through what your showing on the screen and i have to say leave it alone.  It may be quite awhile before it's done but stopping it before it does can really mess things up , an endless repair loop or a "system repair pending message" .

I have experienced both when stopping something before it's done.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I haven't stopped it or anything, but it's still stuck at the same stage 4 of 5, 11 percent complete (156750 of 282352 files processed)--nothing has changed and it's been on that for a few hours now. And I don't see any lights blinking.

Edited by jrsummersill1, 14 October 2015 - 01:26 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

It's probably stuck on bad sectors! press CTRL + C to abort the process.

Before decide what to do next I have some questions:

- When you connected the hdd to another machine did you try to copy your most critical files?

- How did you connected the HDD to the other machine? Using some external case or directly to the motherboard?

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

The control c wouldn't stop it at all. It was kind of like it was frozen so I had no choice except to power it off. I have not restarted it. When I connected the hard drive to the desktop, it was by an external case and I didn't copy anything over. I just looked to see if I would be able to access the drive. 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

The control c wouldn't stop it at all. It was kind of like it was frozen so I had no choice except to power it off. I have not restarted it. When I connected the hard drive to the desktop, it was by an external case and I didn't copy anything over. I just looked to see if I would be able to access the drive. 

Try to connect the drive using the external case and backup your files ASAP because the drive could be failing rapidly!

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I hope that this does not sound like a dumb question, but what would be the easiest and most efficient method to back it up? Is it possible to just drag and drop the entire thing to an external drive or thumb drive or would I drag and drop each individual item? Or is there an even better way? I've always really wanted to know the answer to this anyway.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I hope that this does not sound like a dumb question, but what would be the easiest and most efficient method to back it up? Is it possible to just drag and drop the entire thing to an external drive or thumb drive or would I drag and drop each individual item? Or is there an even better way? I've always really wanted to know the answer to this anyway.

Not at all. You can simply use windows to copy your files and folders to the external drive.

It doesn't make sense try to copy everything when you have a bad HDD that could fail any time, start with your files first. Sometimes you need to let the HDD cool down before you can try to copy more data.

If you want to use a program Multi Commander is a free File Manager and one of the advantages comparing to Windows File Copy is that you can add several file tasks at once to a queue and it offers more control over the copy process, when the destination disk is full for example, etc.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Ok. I am going to attempt that this afternoon and will let you know if I am successful or not.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Ok. I am going to attempt that this afternoon and will let you know if I am successful or not.

:thumbsup: Good luck.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

SleepyDude, it would appear that for the most part the drive contents copied over to the external drive. There were some cryptic things like the one pictured that would not copy over for whatever reason. So what do you think I should do next?

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-15-16.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

SleepyDude, it would appear that for the most part the drive contents copied over to the external drive. There were some cryptic things like the one pictured that would not copy over for whatever reason. So what do you think I should do next?

Good. That one is a system file probably located on a damaged zone of the HDD.

The other machine you are using is a Desktop or Laptop?