Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swapping/cloning hard drive question

• Please log in to reply

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

No. It is a new HP computer that is running either Windows 8 or 8.1. I know what your thinking, because I was thinking the same thing--is it making a set of recovery disks for my hard drive or for the one it is attached to? From what I understand, to make a recovery "disk" for a Windows 8/8.1 computer, it defaults to a usb rather than disks for creation (I could be wrong, but that's what I understand) and the process is different for those systems, too. I attached my hard drive, accessed the local disk (I am well versed on the process to do this now. lol) and then searched "recovery manager". It came up to use the 5 disks to create the recovery media. This process is the process outlined on HP's website for a windows 7 computer, so I am hoping it was for my computer. Only time will tell, though. If I made a recovery disk for the Windows 8 computer, that's ok, too. My daughter will have a set for her computer. Is there any way to tell for sure whether the recovery disks are Windows 7 or Windows 8 by viewing the files on the disks? If not, I will find out when I get the ordered hard drive at the end of the week. If it's the wrong disks, I will just spend the money and order the ones I need from HP.

I did think about finding someone who had a non-hp laptop to access the recovery manager and see if it tells me my one set of recovery disks have already been made, but I can't think of anyone I know that has a non-hp laptop. I figured that if I tried this on the laptop I already used, I wouldn't really know if that message was for my computer or that one.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Exactly what I was thinking :)

I think I have a set of old recovery disks for my HP dv9000, when I get home later will take a look to see if there is something revealing inside.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Great SleepyDude! I look forward to seeing what you find out. In the meantime, in perusing the forums here, I found this topic:

http://www.geekstogo...up-repair-disk/

In which godawgs stated:

"Windows 8.1 does not support the creation of a system repair or recovery disk to optical media like a CD or DVD. Windows 8.1 supports creating the system recovery / repair to a USB flash dirve."

This makes me feel a little more confident that I may have actually created recovery disks for my system.  :)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Sorry I could not find my recovery disks, most likely I returned them when I had to return the machine to my work...

I'm hoping it all works out, if that works other users can  benefit from that solution.

The information provided by Godawgs is certainly true for most machines running Windows 8/8.1 provided by the big manufactures of OEM machines but I can tell you that recently I came across with some machines running Windows 8/8.1 where the tool to create Recovery Disks is back. In my opinion something that should never have been removed.

A simple test you can do is to boot the machine using the first Rescue Disk, the Windows logo should help determining the OS used.

Windows 7:

Windows-7-Startup-100x100.jpg

Windows 8:

how-to-customize-boot-logo-screen-in-win

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Will it hurt anything (the discs or the drive) to just boot up and see the logo and then power it down? If not, I will certainly do that when I get home. Even though I backed up the drive, I was hoping to still keep the data on it for as long as possible.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Will it hurt anything (the discs or the drive) to just boot up and see the logo and then power it down? If not, I will certainly do that when I get home. Even though I backed up the drive, I was hoping to still keep the data on it for as long as possible.

No. It could get stuck due to the bad HDD if not and it works the restore process its not automatically initiated and you can cancel.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Ok. I will give it a try then and let you know how it works out. Thanks!

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Well, I tried it and it came up with the Windows 8 logo. I was disappointed and went ahead and ordered the recovery disks directly from HP. At least my daughter has a set of recovery disks now.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Well, I tried it and it came up with the Windows 8 logo. I was disappointed and went ahead and ordered the recovery disks directly from HP. At least my daughter has a set of recovery disks now.

Thanks for reporting the result. I would be surprised if it worked because of the type of tool that is used and the way they usually work!

I never did that, so I couldn't be sure of the end result.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Update: I received the recovery disks ($30) and the new used hard drive ($32) and my computer is up and running. So not bad for $62. Sure better than the expense of a new laptop. Now I just have to figure out the best way to put all of my personal stuff/programs on it.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Good to know. :thumbsup: